getting current $page in a Inputfield or Fieldtype module

Does this work: $page = wire('page')

You need it in admin context?

Edit: now that I think of it, wire('page') should return the page edit admin page. I think your method is fine. Of course you could check that the current page is admin with ProcessPageEdit process defined, if you want to play it safe. 

This is a perfect way and I think the only one, even ProcessPageEdit uses it. If you output in your module $this->page you'll get the id of the admin page and not the edited one. So the GET id is there to know what page. I think there's other way to get to the page but it will end in the same call somewhere anyway.

To check process your on in admin try $this->process and you'll get ProcessPageEdit as it's the process module running.

So get the page and set it to the inpufield module with

$this->page = $this->pages->get($this->input->get->id); 

Is simple enough and will always work in this context.

Then use it as usual

if(!$this->page->editable()){...}
  • Like 2

Nearly all built-in Fieldtype functions are passed a copy of the $page and $field being edited. So you pretty much always have a copy in your Fieldtype. For example, every Fieldtype has this function: 

/**
 * Return a new Inputfield, ready to be used
 * @param Page $page Page being edited
 * @param Field $field Field that needs an Inputfield
 */
public function getInputfield(Page $page, Field $field) {
   // $page is the Page you want
}

Since there is only 1 copy of any given Fieldtype in memory at once, you don't want to keep any copies of $page outside of the individual functions because the same Fieldtype instance might get called several times for different pages within the same request. 

Inputfields are different:

• They aren't supposed to know anything about the page being edited, because Inputfields are used for far more than just pages.
  • There will be multiple instances of the same Inputfield in memory at once. Basically, there is a new instance of it for every single input that's needed. Unlike Fieldtypes, Inputfields don't get reused for multiple fields of the same type. 

Since Inputfields aren't supposed to have a $page context, they don't already have a copy of it anywhere. However, if you need one, you can pass it a copy from your Fieldtype's getInputfield method, shown above:

/**
 * Return a new Inputfield, ready to be used
 * @param Page $page Page being edited
 * @param Field $field Field that needs an Inputfield
 */
public function getInputfield(Page $page, Field $field) {
   $inputfield = wire('modules')->get('InputfieldSomething'); 
   $inputfield->set('editPage', $page); // give it a copy of $page being edited
   return $inputfield; 
}

Now InputfieldSomething can access the $page from $this->editPage. 

This is what FieldtypeRepeater does for InputfieldRepeater, btw. 

• Like 4

This was the information I was looking for. Love to see some insights I never thought of before. Always great to see how you explane things & take your time to answer these questions!

Thank You ryan.

note: I did use your code 1 on 1.

( Hope to release MailChimpCampaign next weekend ) 

Edited by Martijn Geerts
  • Like 1