wireMailSMTP and mailInABox

benbyf

Happen to be any email DNS ninja's out there?! Running a email server using mailinabox on a digitalOcean droplet and sending email from a PW site using wireMailSMTP. Something is set wrong as I mostly SMTP errors:

Error in hnsmtp::send : 554 5.7.1 <*******@gmail.com>: Relay access denied

when sending out emails. logins etc are correct and I get this error when sending. Anyone happen to know what might be happening here or what might be missing from my domain DNS to make this the case..?

Hey @benbyf I don't run my own servers, but there is some info here about DNS records for people doing self-hosted stuff...

• The Digital Life on YT:

There are other videos on that channel about self hosting email servers - but I note he's recently given up self hosting mail services.
  • Like 2

Just now, netcarver said:

Is your intent to use your self-hosted service for email sends only?  Or receipt as well?

so theres a mailbox set up on the server and I'm connecting to it to send from the PW site via wiremail

You may want to check your droplet IP address is not in a spam blocklist somewhere as well, "Relay Access Denied" Kind of sounds like an auth issue.

Updated to add: there's a blacklist checker here you could try.

DMARC, DKIM & SPF set up on the DNS service?

Make sure that your from address is the same as your user (login) address, and that you have the dns records defined as netcarver stated.

On a similar note, I don't use mailinabox, rather an old squirrel mail install for linuxdude. It is a pita running your own mail server by keeping up with the spammers. And you will have spammers.

• Like 1

ok, so somehow its working.... fingers crossed, not sure what but did a mix of all the settings and something has started working with one of the combinations... FML i hate email

3 hours ago, netcarver said:

Hey @benbyf I don't run my own servers, but there is some info here about DNS records for people doing self-hosted stuff...

• The Digital Life on YT:

There are other videos on that channel about self hosting email servers - but I note he's recently given up self hosting mail services.

also this was really useful by the way

• Like 1