Sten

I look forward to create a module about languages

Hello

Till now I hacked something with the twig template but it works no more with new PW versions so I look forward to create a module. I am working on a site in multiple languages : French, English, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Hebrew, Russian. The new posts are entered in any language with a field for language. Till now, I got twig files to get the translations with constants defined for each part of the pages.

So I'd like to create a module to include theses files added according to the url /fr/en/...

Have you some observations to do before I begin about the direction to take ?

Thank you

I'm also using Twig with a custom translations system for interface text / code i18n. While the built-in multilanguage support for page fields is well-done, I don't really like the system and interface for code internationalization and localization, and it doesn't work with Twig files (which is probably why you want to build your own).

I have written about the approach I took in the second part of my Twig + ProcessWire tutorial (towards the end, the section about translations). It comes down to a ProFields Table field that holds all the translations (so they can be edited through the backend as well) and a function that gets a local translation for the current language based on translatable strings (msgid). By the way I've switched to a Twig filter since writing this tutorial, I find it easier to write, so now I can simply do the following in Twig: {{ 'hamburger_button_label'|t }}

If you do end up writing a module for this, make sure to publish it here as well, I've been looking for a more scalable approach 🙂

• Like 2

Hello MoritzLost,

Thank you for your answer. I found an other solution and I'll tell you my system.

I got rid of TwigExtension and replace its function inside twig by using fuction in my php files.

In my system, I find useful and simple. I have translations files : fr.php, de.php...

Inside them I have the translations strings with constants. I call them in my init file after getting the language from the url, the transform the constant into variables for commodity. At last each varialbe is in the twig files. I have 8 languages and so translators just write in the file, I feel it simple. Ask me if you're interested and want precisions.

Have a nice sunday.

Thanks for the insights! Static translation files are definitely a fast approach. If all your editors / translators are comfortable editing source code files directly, that's reasonable. Though they have to be careful not to overwrite each other's changes two or more editors are working on the same language (unless of course you're using distributed version control).

Does that mean you have to add a constant to eight different files whenever you want to add a translatable string? I'd get fed up with that very quickly 😛

Hi MoritzLost,

That is just for the interface (menus, formulas...) the body field contains each post in any language. I have a default language and an URL  segment to get the chosen language. The translators complete the files once only per language.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By tcnet
      PageViewStatistic for ProcessWire is a module to log page visits of the CMS. The records including some basic information like IP-address, browser, operating system, requested page and originate page. Please note that this module doesn't claim to be the best or most accurate.
      Advantages
      One of the biggest advantage is that this module doesn't require any external service like Google Analytics or similar. You don't have to modify your templates either. There is also no Javascript or image required.
      Disadvantages
      There is only one disadvantage. This module doesn't record visits if the browser loads the page from its browser cache. To prevent the browser from loading the page from its cache, add the following meta tags to the header of your page:
      <meta http-equiv="Cache-Control" content="no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate" /> <meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache" /> <meta http-equiv="Expires" content="0" /> How to use
      The records can be accessed via the Setup-menu of the CMS backend. The first dropdown control changes the view mode.

Detailed records
      View mode "Detailed records" shows all visits of the selected day individually with IP-address, browser, operating system, requested page and originate page. Click the update button to see new added records.

Cached visitor records
      View modes other than "Detailed records" are cached visitor counts which will be collected on a daily basis from the detailed records. This procedure ensures a faster display even with a large number of data records. Another advantage is that the detailed records can be deleted while the cache remains. The cache can be updated manually or automatically in a specified time period. Multiple visits from the same IP address on the same day are counted as a single visitor.

Upgrade from older versions
      Cached visitor counts is new in version 1.0.8. If you just upgraded from an older version you might expire a delay or even an error 500 if you display cached visitor counts. The reason for this is that the cache has to be created from the records. This can take longer if your database contains many records. Sometimes it might hit the maximally execution time. Don't worry about that and keep reloading the page until the cache is completely created.
      Special Feature
      PageViewStatistic for ProcessWire can record the time a visitor viewed the page. This feature is deactivated by default. To activate open the module configuration page and activate "Record view time". If activated you will find a new column "S." in the records which means the time of view in seconds. With every page request, a Javascript code is inserted directly after the <body> tag. Every time the visitor switches to another tab or closes the tab, this script reports the number of seconds the tab was visible. The initial page request is recorded only as a hyphen (-).

Settings
      You can access the module settings by clicking the Configuration button at the bottom of the records page. The settings page is also available in the menu: Modules->Configure->ProcessPageViewStat.
      IP2Location
      This module uses the IP2Location database from: http://www.ip2location.com. This database is required to obtain the country from the IP address. IP2Location updates this database at the begin of every month. The settings of ProcessPageViewStat offers the ability to automatically download the database monthly. Please note, that automatically download will not work if your webspace doesn't allow allow_url_fopen.
      Dragscroll
      This module uses DragScroll. A JavaScript available from: http://github.com/asvd/dragscroll. Dragscroll adds the ability in view mode "Day" to drag the records horizontally with the mouse pointer.
      parseUserAgentStringClass
      This module uses the PHP class parseUserAgentStringClass available from: http://www.toms-world.org/blog/parseuseragentstring/. This class is required to filter out the browser type and operating system from the server request.
    • By Mike Rockett
      TextformatterTypographer
      A ProcessWire wrapper for the awesome PHP Typography class, originally authored by KINGdesk LLC and enhanced by Peter Putzer in wp-Typography. Like Smartypants, it supercharges text fields with enhanced typography and typesetting, such as smart quotations, hyphenation in 59 languages, ellipses, copyright-, trade-, and service-marks, math symbols, and more.
      It's based on the PHP-Typography library found over at wp-Typography, which is more frequently updated and feature rich that its original by KINGdesk LLC.
      The module itself is fully configurable. I haven't done extensive testing, but there is nothing complex about this, and so I only envisage a typographical bug here and there, if any.
    • By daniel_puehringer
      Hi community,

I am using the "PageTable" Module (also called "ProFields: Page Table") and the built in "Language" Module (also called "Languages Support").

With the help of PageTable I was able to create several content elements which should usually be displayed in German(default language) and English.

However some Content Elements should only be shown in German and NOT in English.

Well sounds easy, right? Not so fast. I really love this CMS, but I have not found a solution for this problem yet.
      As you can see in the screenshots attached I tried to uncheck the "active" Checkbox for the english language to completely hide the content element for english users.

However no matter what I do the german text shows on the english page.
      If I leave the "content-should-not-be-shown-in-english"(see Screenshot Number 2) blank and save the page, the page will inherit the german page url "content-element-with-simple-text-which-should-only-be-shown-in-german".

My question therefore is:
      How can I hide a specific content-element for only one language?

I´m using the latest processwire & module versions.

The code which I use to render the content elements looks like this:
      //Info: contentelements is a field of type "ProFields: Page Table" <?php foreach ($page->contentelements as $element): echo($element->render()); endforeach; ?> filename: basic-page.php

I would really appreciate your help since I haven´t found a solution after reading through quite a lot of forum posts.

All the best,
      Dani

• By robert
      I often had the need for an overview of all used fields and their contents for a specific page/template while developing new websites without switching to the backend, so I made a small module which lists all the needed information in a readable manner (at least for me):
      Debug Page Fields
      https://github.com/robertweiss/ProcessDebugPageFields
      It adds two new properties to all pages:
      $page->debugFieldValues – returns an object with all (sub-)fields, their labels, fieldtypes and values $page->debugFieldTypes – returns an object with all fieldtypes and their corresponding fields // List all values of a pages $page->debugFieldValues // List a specific field $page->debugFieldValues->fieldname // List all used fieldtypes of a page $page->debugFieldTypes I recommend using it in combination with Tracy Debugger, Ray, Xdebug etc. as it returns an object and is only meant for developing/debugging uses. 
      For now, the fieldtype support includes mostly fieldtypes I use in my projects, but can easily be extended by adding a new FieldtypeFIELDNAME method to the module. I use it with five different client installations (all PW 3.0.*), but of course there might be some (or more) field configurations which are not covered correctly yet.
      Supported fieldtypes
      Button Checkbox Color Combo Datetime Email FieldsetPage * File FontIconPicker Functional Image ImageReference MapMarker Multiplier Mystique Options Page PageIDs PageTitle Radio Repeater * RepeaterMatrix * RockAwesome SeoMaestro Table Text Textarea Textareas Toggle URL * The fields with complete subfield-support also list their corresponding subfields.
      Installation
      Download the zip file at Github or clone the repo into your site/modules directory. If you downloaded the zip file, extract it in your sites/modules directory. In your admin, go to Modules > Refresh, then Modules > New, then click on the Install button for this module. As this is my first ›public‹ module, I hope I did not miss any important things to mention here.
    • By horst
      Wire Mail SMTP

An extension to the (new) WireMail base class that uses SMTP-transport

This module integrates EmailMessage, SMTP and SASL php-libraries from Manuel Lemos into ProcessWire. I use this continously evolved libraries for about 10 years now and there was never a reason or occasion not to do so. I use it nearly every day in my office for automated composing and sending personalized messages with attachments, requests for Disposition Notifications, etc. Also I have used it for sending personalized Bulkmails many times.

The WireMailSmtp module extends the new email-related WireMail base class introduced in ProcessWire 2.4.1 (while this writing, the dev-branch only).

Here are Ryans announcement.

Current Version 0.6.0
      Changelog: https://github.com/horst-n/WireMailSmtp/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md
      get it from the Modules Directory Install and Configure

Download the module into your site/modules/ directory and install it.

In the config page you fill in settings for the SMTP server and optionaly the (default) sender, like email address, name and signature.
      You can test the smtp settings directly there. If it says "SUCCESS! SMTP settings appear to work correctly." you are ready to start using it in templates, modules or bootstrap scripts.

Usage Examples
      The simplest way to use it:
      $numSent = wireMail($to, $from, $subject, $textBody); $numSent = wireMail($to, '', $subject, $textBody); // or with a default sender emailaddress on config page This will send a plain text message to each recipient.

You may also use the object oriented style:
      $mail = wireMail(); // calling an empty wireMail() returns a wireMail object $mail->to($toEmail, $toName); $mail->from = $yourEmailaddress; // if you don't have set a default sender in config // or if you want to override that $mail->subject($subject); $mail->body($textBody); $numSent = $mail->send(); Or chained, like everywhere in ProcessWire:
      $mail = wireMail(); $numSent = $mail->to($toEmail)->subject($subject)->body($textBody)->send(); Additionaly to the basics there are more options available with WireMailSmtp. The main difference compared to the WireMail BaseClass is the sendSingle option. With it you can set only one To-Recipient but additional CC-Recipients.
      $mail = wireMail(); $mail->sendSingle(true)->to($toEmail, $toName)->cc(array('person1@example.com', 'person2@example.com', 'person3@example.com')); $numSent = $mail->subject($subject)->body($textBody)->send(); The same as function call with options array:
      $options = array( 'sendSingle' => true, 'cc' => array('person1@example.com', 'person2@example.com', 'person3@example.com') ); $numSent = wireMail($to, '', $subject, $textBody, $options); There are methods to your disposal to check if you have the right WireMail-Class and if the SMTP-settings are working:
      $mail = wireMail(); if($mail->className != 'WireMailSmtp') { // Uups, wrong WireMail-Class: do something to inform the user and quit echo "<p>Couldn't get the right WireMail-Module (WireMailSmtp). found: {$mail->className}</p>"; return; } if(!$mail->testConnection()) { // Connection not working: echo "<p>Couldn't connect to the SMTP server. Please check the {$mail->className} modules config settings!</p>"; return; }  
      A MORE ADVANCED DEBUG METHOD!
      You can add some debug code into a template file and call a page with it:
      $to = array('me@example.com'); $subject = 'Wiremail-SMTP Test ' . date('H:i:s') . ' äöü ÄÖÜ ß'; $mail = wireMail(); if($mail->className != 'WireMailSmtp') { echo "<p>Couldn't get the right WireMail-Module (WireMailSmtp). found: {$mail->className}</p>"; } else { $mail->from = '--INSERT YOUR SENDER ADDRESS HERE --'; // <--- !!!! $mail->to($to); $mail->subject($subject); $mail->sendSingle(true); $mail->body("Titel\n\ntext text TEXT text text\n"); $mail->bodyHTML("<h1>Titel</h1><p>text text <strong>TEXT</strong> text text</p>"); $dump = $mail->debugSend(1); } So, in short, instead of using $mail->send(), use $mail->debugSend(1) to get output on a frontend testpage.
      The output is PRE formatted and contains the areas: SETTINGS, RESULT, ERRORS and a complete debuglog of the server connection, like this one:

Following are a ...

List of all options and features

testConnection () - returns true on success, false on failures

sendSingle ( true | false ) - default is false

sendBulk ( true | false ) - default is false, Set this to true if you have lots of recipients (50+)

to ($recipients) - one emailaddress or array with multiple emailaddresses

cc ($recipients) - only available with mode sendSingle, one emailaddress or array with multiple emailaddresses

bcc ($recipients) - one emailaddress or array with multiple emailaddresses

from = 'person@example.com' - emailaddress, can be set in module config (called Sender Emailaddress) but it can be overwritten here

fromName = 'Name Surname' - optional, can be set in module config (called Sender Name) but it can be overwritten here

priority (3) - 1 = Highest | 2 = High | 3 = Normal | 4 = Low | 5 = Lowest

dispositionNotification () or notification () - request a Disposition Notification

subject ($subject) - subject of the message

body ($textBody) - use this one alone to create and send plainText emailmessages

bodyHTML ($htmlBody) - use this to create a Multipart Alternative Emailmessage (containing a HTML-Part and a Plaintext-Part as fallback)

addSignature ( true | false ) - the default-behave is selectable in config screen, this can be overridden here
      (only available if a signature is defined in the config screen)

attachment ($filename, $alternativeBasename = "") - add attachment file, optionally alternative basename

send () - send the message(s) and return number of successful sent messages

debugSend(1) - returns and / or outputs a (pre formatted) dump that contains the areas: SETTINGS, RESULT, ERRORS and a complete debuglog of the server connection. (See above the example code under ADVANCED DEBUG METHOD for further instructions!)

getResult () - returns a dump (array) with all recipients (to, cc, bcc) and settings you have selected with the message, the message subject and body, and lists of successfull addresses and failed addresses,

logActivity ($logmessage) - you may log success if you want

logError ($logmessage) - you may log warnings, too. - Errors are logged automaticaly

useSentLog (true | false) - intended for usage with e.g. third party newsletter modules - tells the send() method to make usage of the sentLog-methods - the following three sentLog methods are hookable, e.g. if you don't want log into files you may provide your own storage, or add additional functionality here

sentLogReset ()  - starts a new LogSession - Best usage would be interactively once when setting up a new Newsletter

sentLogGet ()  - is called automaticly within the send() method - returns an array containing all previously used emailaddresses

sentLogAdd ($emailaddress)  - is called automaticly within the send() method
      Changelog: https://github.com/horst-n/WireMailSmtp/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md