PW 3.0.154 – Core updates

ryan

Here’s a brief update on what’s new in the core since last week. Next week I’m going to compile a more complete overview of everything that’s in 3.0.154 (and more) and put it in a blog post. I wanted to do that today, but my kids have needed a lot of help with various things today (and this whole week actually) with all of this online school stuff and I’ve run out of time. We're a few weeks in and school is cancelled for the rest of the year due to the coronavirus (likely the same around the world). I'm still learning how to adapt to kids around all day and needing attention, but overall it's nice to have the family around more even if it is sometimes hard to get work done. So I’ll keep this sort of brief, and get into more details next week. 

Several updates were made to the core/LanguageFunctions.php (language functions) file, with biggest being the option to programmatically replace translation text (whether multi-language support is installed or not), useful for very easily updating core/module output to say exactly what you want, and without needing to install multi-language modules. No longer do you need to use various hooks to change text in one module or another. Also moved the __('text') configuration options to dedicated functions which makes it more clear to use, as well as much better for documentation purposes: wireLangEntityEncode(), wireLangTranslations(), wireLangReplacements(). You'll see these new functions in our docs by next week. More details and examples of these in action in next week’s blog post. 

The CKEditor version has been upgraded from 4.12.1 to 4.14.0. To see what’s changed, see the release notes for CKEditor 4.13.0, 4.13.1 and 4.14.0 here. There’s actually quite a lot here in terms of additions and fixes. Note especially the two security related fixes in 4.14.0 (though I think only the first may be applicable to us). While it looks like a rather unlikely combination of factors needs to come together, and with just the right person, it’s good to be aware of nevertheless. Of note is that these particular cases are entirely client side, before PW ever gets to see or filter the content, so this is something that only a CKEditor upgrade can fix. 

Updated the core Debug class to use PHP 7.3’s recommended hrtime (high resolution time) for debug timers, rather than microtome. This is only available in PHP 7.3 and newer. As far as I can tell it produces identical results to microtome (as far is our timers go) but the PHP documentation page indicates hrtime is what we should now be using, so that’s what we’re going with. I also did a little refactoring and minor improvements in the Debug class as well. 

Updated ProcessWire’s Inputfield rendering system so that you can customize markup by matching a field by name, and without hooks. This essentially takes part the Inputfield customization system developed for LoginRegisterPro and brings it into the core. This opens up a lot more customizability for those that want it. 

Various resolutions of GitHub issue reports, with more on the way. 

The above are just updates from the last week, but there’s plenty more in 3.0.154 as well. See ProcessWire Weekly #309 for details on Image and file field updates, new $database->columnExists() method and new Selectors::getOperators() method, and more. There are also the new expanded file and image properties, as discussed in #308 and the last blog post. Thanks for reading and I hope you all have a great weekend!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

23 hours ago, ryan said:

We're a few weeks in and school is cancelled for the rest of the year due to the coronavirus (likely the same around the world). I'm still learning how to adapt to kids around all day and needing attention, but overall it's nice to have the family around more even if it is sometimes hard to get work done.

It took me weeks to adapt mentally. I'm not sure why, I work from home and my wife looks after the kids at the moment so I'm in a better position than many, but the whole situation in the wider world made me lose my work mojo for a while.

Definitely got it back this past week though - back on track finally with projects ?

Hope everyone here is as well as they can be in the circumstances.

• Like 7

@Pete From this side, my wife's job is one that requires her to be on phone/video meetings most of the day, so she's got to lock herself away from us to focus on that, and the kids are mostly with me during the day. I'm good at focused attention, but not great at changing gears, so I'm still learning. My days used to be just coffee and code. Now things are much more diverse, here's a typical day: wakeup, breakfast, coffee, code, kids wakeup, resolve dispute, make breakfast, coffee, code, hear that TV is on, check in to make sure kids are doing school work, turn off TV, say “get back to school work”, try to figure out something with google classroom, worry about whether I'm doing enough to keep kids focused on school, code, get icloud request to approve download of some game on iPad, tell kids to “get back to work”, explain why several times, answer questions about school work, hear music from some game and decide to let it slide, 1 email, cycle power on router because wife says she can't connect to important video call, code, resolve kids dispute, put 1 kid in timeout, legos, clean up spill, 1 email, slack message, cook lunch, coffee, code, worry about whether kids are spending too much time on screens, phone call, reset wifi because daughter says Roblox won't connect, then work a little more, click the "snooze" button on a dozen emails so they return tomorrow, take kids outside to play while I work on house or yard, ride bikes, cook dinner, eat, netflix, cleanup dinner, go to bed, feel thankful to be healthy, sleep well. I'm definitely still adapting here, but I can't complain about the new normal because having everyone under one roof is comforting, especially at times like this. And while it's harder to get work done, it's mostly still getting done and I just feel thankful to be staying busy. Also, knowing there's nowhere to go but home, life is simpler in many ways.

• Like 17

On 4/20/2020 at 12:06 AM, ryan said:

I can't complain about the new normal because having everyone under one roof is comforting, especially at times like this. And while it's harder to get work done, it's mostly still getting done and I just feel thankful to be staying busy.

I only have one kid, so in some ways that keeps things easier, although she's in the office with me on the other PC which can make things interesting at times. We are allowed out walking as long as we keep to our neighbourhood and stay a safe distance from other people. Things have been pretty relaxed up until Sunday when the oven died, which made things a bit more inconvenient as we've been doing a lot of home baking, but that is out of the question now until I can get someone to repair it, or buy a replacement, which either way looks like at least a week away. At least there's a good chance of eliminating the virus completely here within the next few weeks, which will allow life to return to some semblance of normal, but the borders will likely be closed well beyond the end of the year.

• Like 4