Changing address of administration

Joss

Hi

The current address of administration is /processwire.

Is there anyway to change this?

It is only because clients tend to think of their site as something that has an admin or administration section and really dont care which software it is and just want something memorable.

Not hugely important, I know, but just one of those fiddly bits round the edges that can make something client friendly! :)

Joss

• Like 1

Thankee kindly, Moreweb

One of those "pretty damned obvious things to find if you actually sat down and thought about it and were not so worried that the recent rain has flooded your veggie patch" sort of moments...

Joss

• Like 2

Greetings Ryan,

I've been playing with the 2.3 release from Github. It seems ready for prime time! Well, at least in my testing I haven't had any issues.

Thanks for all your efforts! In just a short time, your CMS and the community around it has helped me make a giant leap in my site building.

Matthew

• Like 1

Hi Ryan,

You may want to add two notes ...

1. "editing the admin page" add "in the pages list" (for new people who don't know what you are talking about)

2. Mention that when you do edit it, you will get a 404 because the path has now changed - don't worry, just go to the new address!

I had 10 seconds of screaming panic earlier ....

So much more fun would be "if left empty, we will pick a random incredibly long word from the full version of the Oxford English Dictionary, and email it to you next Christmas."

There are some good reasons why some people think I should be kept as far from design as possible....

Joss

• Like 1

I'm actually thinking I might just making it an input in the installer. "What do you want your admin URL to be?" or something like that.

Superb idea!

As Joss said, make it *required.

I previously was a big user of ExpressionEngine, and changing the default '/system/' folder was the first thing I did.

On my personal site, I changed it twice a year :) paranoia, hah!

Sounds good guys, I'm going to go with a slight modification to Joss's suggestion:

if left empty, we will pick a random incredibly long word from the full version of the Oxford English Dictionary

Will also append a blowfish hash of that Oxford word, combined with a random salt (to avoid the obvious URL dictionary attacks).

In all seriousness, I do think it's a fine practice to have a unique URL for your admin. But the admin is password protected, so it's not really necessary to change your admin URL unless you or your clients are going to be practicing bad password habits. Still, every little bit of security is always good, especially ones that are so easy to add.

• Like 2

I and a friend used to sit in the office looking at all the book titles trying to work out difficult to guess passwords that were easy to remember.

I asked my mother if she had any suggestions. She worked on the Ultra Secret during WW2 (look it up) so I was interested in her take. She made one little suggestion, so I tried it on my friend who was a bit of a hacking genius.

He tried for three days and failed miserably. He gave up and said "okay, what is the password?"

"There isn't one," I said. "That was her suggestion."

She did the same trick with coding. She was talking to some students about how they worked with the Tipex and Engima machines and about simple codes.

"Try this one," she suggested. "I like cream cakes."

They battled for days trying to break it, before she gave the solution, which was "I like cream cakes."

The lesson: before you waste hours trying to break a code, make sure it is actually a code in the first place! Apparently, that was a serious lesson back in the war. You had to be certain something was a code before you wasted many, many valuable hours.

Joss

• Like 3