GoodKidsClothes.com - a blog

Violet

Here is GoodKidsClothes.com, a blog about kids clothes - news, style tips, sale alerts, and more.

Screenshot_2019-03-18_JPG-sm.jpg.feb008544335ff4e512f72e5842e1c95.jpg

GoodKidsClothes.com originally ran on Wordpress, and I moved it to Processwire recently, the new Processwire version is shown above. There was a fair amount to change over, since it had 4 years on Wordpress before switching! I kept the colors, background, etc in line with what it had been before - a soft, friendly look. I wasn't seeking for it to be identical to its previous appearance, just similar but updated/better/more fun.

The html I did from scratch, although I used the W3CSS framework.  I love W3CSS because they handle all the responsive breakpoints, and the default styling is a clean flat modern look with plenty of great pre-sets.

The reason I moved this site over to ProcessWire was not looks but actually functionality: the new Wordpress editor (Gutenburg) had just come out - one of its quirks is that it couldn't keep up with my typing, so I had to literally slow down my typing, which really defeats the purpose of WP as a blogging CMS. (Processwire's editor keeps up with me just fine). Also it was anyway time for me to manually go through and update old articles, put in new affiliate links etc, so I decided to do everything all at once and switch over to ProcessWire.

In case anyone is wondering, the switch-over was manual since I was going to examine every article I'd written to either a) update it, b) move it to another of my sites, or c) trash it. This was not time-efficent but this way I wound up with being certain everything was up to date content-wise, plus no unwanted bloat (like extra WP fields) could make its way into my Processwire database.  I simply installed Processwire via 1-click Softaculous install in a subdirectory of the original Wordpress site, with the original site still running. Then after I had the Processwire version fully finished (this took several weeks), I simply uninstalled the Wordpress version and moved the Processwire site into the document root. This way I had less than 1 minute downtime.

UX/UI

• The first menu link is an all-abilities-inclusive version of "skip to content". The actual text displayed depends on which page template is being used ( this text is assigned in _init). For example, the Article template will display "Scroll to article", while Search Results template will display "Scroll to results".
  • Link styling in the body of article content is designed for both the desktop and mobile user, with simultaneous underlining and highlighting showing the entire link region to aim for when tapping on mobile.
  • On the home page and some other templates as needed, skip links are available within the page. They offer the option to skip past a series of links such as social sharing links, pager navigation, etc for a) the screen reader user and b) the fully-sighted keyboard-only user (no mouse). These links only become visible to the eye when focus comes upon them via tabbing. Tab through the home page to see it in action - this is the template where the most skip links have been needed.
  • Cookie manager - originally I used a slider for turning Google Analytics tracking on/off but changed to checkbox because I could not work out a way to manipulate slider without mouse.

Newsletter - field, and feed

One feature of this site is its newsletter, and you'll see here how Processwire shines. The setup was (and still is) that on days when a new blog post relevant to children's clothes is published, subscribers get a brief email notifying them of the new article and linking to it. This is all handled by MailChimp, which I highly recommend. Under the old Wordpress system, I had to use categories to classify which of the posts wound up going into the newsletter (kids clothes) and which posts didn't (other topics like parenting etc). There was always the chance that under default WP behavior, things would be classified incorrectly if I forgot to specify categories. Under Processwire, I've set up the article template to have a field called "Newsletter" which is a simple drop-down choice of "For newsletter" or "omit from Newsletter". There is no default value, and it's a required field, ensuring that I do remember to specify it one way or another. It's such a relief to do it this way! My newsletter feed was easy to customize under Processwire: I created a feed template that selected a) all the pages using the article template that also had b) the "For newsletter" field selected, and those are listed at /newsletter in feed format. Please note that this feed may be empty right now - I omitted my existing articles from newsletter feed as subscribers have already seen them, and haven't had time to write new articles yet.  To clarify, I'm expecting the newsletter feed at /newsletter to only ever be read by MailChimp, although it's certainly possible to be used by feed readers or read by humans.

XML sitemap

Under Processwire, I was able to generate a list of articles in XML format at /sitemap.xml that I can then submit to Google as the XML sitemap for this site. Best of all, unlike web-based crawler-type sitemap generators which generate a static sitemap that you then upload to the document root, my Processwire /sitemap.xml auto-generates each time the page is loaded, so it's always auto-updated - any changes in back office like article deletion, unpublishing, adding new articles etc are reflected automatically in /sitemap.xml.

Some advantages of Processwire features when templating

1.  _init.php file - my theme was designed for subsequent use in my other sites, so selected pages for use in nav menu (About, Privacy Policy) are automagically "found" in _init.php as follows:

$pp = $pages->findOne("template=BN-infopage, sort=created, title*=Privacy"); 
$ab = $pages->findOne("template=BN-infopage, sort=created, title*=About");

2.  Made use of Processwire's built-in retina-friendly image resizing class, class="hidpi" to ensure social sharing icon links render at a decent resolution on mobile screens.

Other info

To check my html and to help identify problems that are not visible to the eye, I found it incredibly helpful to use the "audit" feature available on Chromium and other Chrome-based browsers. (F12->Audit-> select options you want).

The order of the blogroll looks a little odd at first glance but it's ordered based purely on publication date. However, I updated some articles and they display the last updated date, which makes the blogroll look like it's not in date order even though it's in publication date order. Also some dates (the older article dates) reflect a user-specified date field, to show the article was valid at the time it was written (e.g. time-sensitive info such as reviews, sale alerts, etc). I'd be happy to explain further if anyone's interested.  Moving forward as I write more articles, there should not be an issue, since I usually update only on or very soon after the publication date, so we should not expect to see wildly different dates on sequential articles from here on in.

• Like 10