Robin S

Unique Image Variations

I created this module a while ago and never got around to publicising it, but it has been outed in the latest PW Weekly so here goes the support thread...

Unique Image Variations

Ensures that all ImageSizer options and focus settings affect image variation filenames.

uiv

Background

When using methods that produce image variations such as Pageimage::size(), ProcessWire includes some of the ImageSizer settings (height, width, cropping location, etc) in the variation filename. This is useful so that if you change these settings in your size() call a new variation is generated and you see this variation on the front-end.

However, ProcessWire does not include several of the other ImageSizer settings in the variation filename:

• upscaling
  • cropping, when set to false or a blank string
  • interlace
  • sharpening
  • quality
  • hidpi quality
  • focus (whether any saved focus area for an image should affect cropping)
  • focus data (the top/left/zoom data for the focus area)

This means that if you change any of these settings, either in $config->imageSizerOptions or in an $options array passed to a method like size(), and you already have variations at the requested size/crop, then ProcessWire will not create new variations and will continue to serve the old variations. In other words you won't see the effect of your changed ImageSizer options on the front-end until you delete the old variations.

Features

The Unique Image Variations module ensures that any changes to ImageSizer options and any changes to the focus area made in Page Edit are reflected in the variation filename, so new variations will always be generated and displayed on the front-end.

Installation

Install the Unique Image Variations module.

In the module config, set the ImageSizer options that you want to include in image variation filenames.

Warnings

Installing the module (and keeping one or more of the options selected in the module config) will cause all existing image variations to be regenerated the next time they are requested. If you have an existing website with a large number of images you may not want the performance impact of that. The module is perhaps best suited to new sites where image variations have not yet been generated.

Similarly, if you change the module config settings on an existing site then all image variations will be regenerated the next time they are requested.

If you think you might want to change an ImageSizer option in the future (I'm thinking here primarily of options such as interlace that are typically set in $config->imageSizerOptions) and would not want that change to cause existing image variations to be regenerated then best to not include that option in the module config after you first install the module.

https://github.com/Toutouwai/UniqueImageVariations
https://modules.processwire.com/modules/unique-image-variations/

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By bernhard
      --- Please use RockFinder3 ---
    • By MoritzLost
      Cacheable Placeholders
      This module allows you to have pieces of dynamic content inside cached output. This aims to solve the common problem of having a mostly cacheable site, but with pieces of dynamic output here and there.  Consider this simple example, where you want to output a custom greeting to the current user:
      <h1>Good morning, <?= ucfirst($user->name) ?></h1> This snippet means you can't use the template cache (at least for logged-in users), because each user has a different name. Even if 99% of your output is static, you can only cache the pieces that you know won't include this personal greeting. A more common example would be CSRF tokens for HTML forms - those need to be unique by definition, so you can't cache the form wholesale.
      This module solves this problem by introducing cacheable placeholders - small placeholder tokens that get replaced during every request. The replacement is done inside a Page::render hook so it runs during every request, even if the response is served from the template cache. So you can use something like this:
      <h1>Good morning, {{{greeting}}}</h1> Replacement tokens are defined with a callback function that produces the appropriate output and added to the module through a simple hook:
      // site/ready.php wire()->addHookAfter('CachePlaceholders::getTokens', function (HookEvent $e) { $tokens = $e->return; $tokens['greeting'] = [ 'callback' => function (array $tokenData) { return ucfirst(wire('user')->name); } ]; $e->return = $tokens; }); Tokens can also include parameters that are parsed and passed to the callback function. There are more fully annotated examples and step-by-step instructions in the README on Github!
      Features
      A simple and fast token parser that calls the appropriate callback and runs automatically. Tokens may include multiple named or positional parameters, as well as multi-value parameters. A manual mode that allows you to replace tokens in custom pieces of cached content (useful if you're using the $cache API). Some built-in tokens for common use-cases: CSRF-Tokens, replacing values from superglobals and producing random hexadecimal strings. The token format is completely customizable, all delimiters can be changed to avoid collisions with existing tag parsers or template languages. Links
      Github Repository & documentation Module directory (pending approval) If you are interested in learning more, the README is very extensive, with more usage examples, code samples and usage instructions!
    • By Craig
      I've been using Fathom Analytics for a while now and on a growing number of sites, so thought it was about time there was a PW module for it.
      WayFathomAnalytics
      WayFathomAnalytics is a group of modules which will allow you to view your Fathom Analytics dashboard in the PW admin panel and (optionally) automatically add and configure the tracking code on front-end pages.
      Links
      GitHub Readme & documentation Download Zip Modules directory Module settings screenshot What is Fathom Analytics?
      Fathom Analytics is a simple, privacy-focused website analytics tool for bloggers and businesses.

Stop scrolling through pages of reports and collecting gobs of personal data about your visitors, both of which you probably don't need. Fathom is a simple and private website analytics platform that lets you focus on what's important: your business.
      Privacy focused Fast-loading dashboards, all data is on a single screen Easy to get what you need, no training required Unlimited email reports Private or public dashboard sharing Cookie notices not required (it doesn't use cookies or collect personal data) Displays: top content, top referrers, top goals and more
    • By daniels
      This is a lightweight alternative to other newsletter & newsletter-subscription modules.
      You can find the Module in the Modules directory and on Github
      It can subscribe, update, unsubscribe & delete a user in a list in Mailchimp with MailChimp API 3.0. It does not provide any forms or validation, so you can feel free to use your own. To protect your users, it does not save any user data in logs or sends them to an admin.
      This module fits your needs if you...
      ...use Mailchimp as your newsletter / email-automation tool ...want to let users subscribe to your newsletter on your website ...want to use your own form, validation and messages (with or without the wire forms) ...don't want any personal user data saved in any way in your ProcessWire environment (cf. EU data regulation terms) ...like to subscribe, update, unsubscribe or delete users to/from different lists ...like the Mailchimp UI for creating / sending / reviewing email campaigns *I have only tested it with PHP 7.x so far, so use on owners risk
      EDIT:
      Since 0.0.4, instructions and changelog can be found in the README only. You can find it here  🙂
      If you have questions or like to contribute, just post a reply or create an issue or pr on github, thanks!
    • By humanafterall
      I'm using some Custom fields for images: 
      https://processwire.com/blog/posts/pw-3.0.142/#custom-fields-for-files-images

When I save the page, and return the fields are blank. When I re-add the text to the fields and save again then the fields save as expected.

I know this is stated as being quite experimental but it's super useful feature I'd love to get working correctly.
      I have fields that are CKEditor fields but have overidden this on the image specific template. I've also tried it with regular text fields and I get the same bug.
      (currently using Processwire 3.0.155)
      **UPDATE**
      I've found this issue is specific to editing on pages using the PageTable fieldtype. The fields are not saving when I save the page in the PageTable.