Push file to download after AJAX post

Hi folks,

On the website I am working on I do have a form which needs to be filled in (duh) and when the user clicks on download, the data is send with ajax and processed in the same file by using the ProcessWire API with $config->ajax;

The data which is provided by the user will be checked with data in my database. If the data is correct I want to push a file download. But this is not working at the moment. It seems like the content of the (.exe) file is pasted in the console instead of pushing the file. My code looks like this:

if ($config->ajax){  
    $serial = $input->post('serial');
    $DB = DB();
    $query = $DB->prepare("/*My query here*/");
    $query->bindParam("comparision", $serial, PDO::PARAM_STR);

$reply = '';

$SN_rows = $query->rowCount();
    if (!$SN_rows > 0) {
        $reply = 'error';
    } else {
        $reply = 'success';
    $installer = $page->attachments->eq(1);
    $filename = "Filename";
    $filepath = $installer->filename;

$options = array(
        'forceDownload' => true,
        'exit' => true,
        'downloadFilename' => $filename

wireSendFile($filepath, $options);

echo $reply;

What am I doing wrong here or is it a bug? Is there another way to do this with the processwire API?

Thanks in advance,

@Robin S, thanks for the links. I fixed or cheated it in a bit different way. In the success function of the AJAX Post, I check for the reply if it is success or not. If it is equal to success I redirect to the same page with a query behind the normal URL. In the file I check if the query is in the URL and if so I push the file as a download. The only thing insecure to this method is that if you know the query you can still get the file without a serialnumber. Anyway, it works for the time being, hopefully this helps someone else 

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By louisstephens
      Does anyone know how to change the title of a select options to lower case? Right now, I have 3 options: "Management, Editor, Guest" (titles are uppercase in the backend), and I would like to change them to lower case in my template as I am adding them as a class name to span tags, ie "<span class="management"></span>".
      I will note, that I am using $level->title (the options) in a nested foreach loop, if this changes anything. Also, I thought I could use strtolower(), but it is just being "echo'd" in the source code.
    • By marcus
      Hi there,
      I ran into a problem posting form data via AJAX. Of course I did some research on the topic via Google, this forum and looking into ProcessWire's core code and found the following steps...
      Setting headers to 'X-Requested-With', 'XMLHttpRequest' Using a trailing slash ...but to no avail. As you can see in the following code I log the response, in this case just a var_dump() of wire("input")->post, but i just get
      response: object(ProcessWire\WireInputData)#240 (0) {
      Here's my code in total. It's simplified, but should work, but for some reason does not. Could any of you point me towards the solution/my fallcy? Thanks in advance!
      <?php if (wire("config")->ajax) { if (wire("input")->post) { var_dump(wire("input")->post); } } else { ?> <div id="app"> <form action="./" method="post" v-on:submit.prevent="getFormValues"> <label><input type="radio" name="yes_no" id="yes" <?= ($page->yes_no == "1") ? "checked" : "" ?> value="1"/>Ja</label> <label><input type="radio" name="yes_no" id="no" <?= ($page->yes_no == "2") ? "checked" : "" ?> value="2"/>Nein</label> <button type="submit">Go</button> <p>{{ yes_no }}</p> </form> </div> <script src="https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/vue@2.5.13/dist/vue.js"></script> <script src="https://unpkg.com/axios/dist/axios.min.js"></script> <script> new Vue({ el: '#app', data: { yes_no: '(unbeantwortet)' }, methods: { getFormValues: function (e) { this.yes_no = e.target.elements.yes_no.value; axios.post('./', { yes_no: this.yes_no }, { headers: { 'X-Requested-With': 'XMLHttpRequest', 'Content-Type': 'application/json' } }) .then(function (response) { console.log("response:", response.data); }) .catch(function (error) { console.log("error:", error); }); } } }); </script> <?php } ?> // edit:

I forgot to mention that the POST request is sent (I can track it in developer tools) and it includes the data I'm intending to send. So I really assume it is a reception problem.

• By cst989
      I have a file I want to access with ajax:
      The purpose of this file is to iterate through a repeater, and get the image from each entry.
      The number of images in the image field is set to 1, and just for good measure, to return a single image.
      And my code:
      // site/ajax/processImage.ajax.php?group=1206 require_once($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/index.php'); $resourceGroup = (int) $_REQUEST['group']; // get the Repeater field $resources = $pages->get($resourceGroup)->resources; foreach ($resources as $resource) { echo $resource->title; // Works as expected echo $resource->image->url; // /site/assets/files/1259/ echo $resource->image; // filename.jpg echo $resource->image->description; // nothing } See comments above for what is output, why isn't URL giving me a full URL, and no description is available?
      If I try to access $image->size() I get the following fatal error:
      Error: Uncaught exception 'ProcessWire\WireException' with message 'Method Pageimages::size does not exist or is not callable in this context' in F:\sites\<sitename>\wire\core\Wire.php:519
    • By Mijo
      Hello all, I'm playing with Wordpress API and I trying to create pages in Processwire from WP API, did anybody do something like that (or any other api)? What is the best approach for creating pages via external API, any advice, examples would be awesome, thank you all
    • By modifiedcontent
      I have one central website, with membership registration and content etc., and then several related websites with their own URL/domains, each on Processwire, all on the same server.
      I would like to access the database of the central website from the sister websites. How would I do that?
      You can't bootstrap one PW installation into another. You can include template parts from one in the other by just using the server path, but whatever you try to get/post just comes/goes to the database of the site you are on.
      Could you switch databases by including the config.php from another PW installation somewhere?
      What is the correct, secure way to do this?