Bug Process Page Search?

SiNNuT

Before i report a bug on Github i want to ask if there are more people that are experiencing problems with the search feature in the admin.

Scenario:

A fresh install of PW.

Search for 'templates'-> Found 1 page using selector: title~=templates

Search for 'about'-> Found 0 pages using selector: title~=about
Search for 'about'-> Found 1 page using selector: title=about

Search for 'site map'-> Found 0 pages using selector: title~=site map
Search for 'site map'-> Found 1 page using selector: title=site map
Search for 'site'->Found 1 page using selector: title~=site (the page with title "Site Map")

Maybe i'm confused about the different types of search but if the templates page is found, the about page should also be found? Also the above sitemap search doesn't seem logical in result.

Seems normal regarding "about" because it's a stopword and has been asked already here.

Not sure about "site map" using ~ . It looks to me as the search doesn't let you search for two words.

static protected $stopwords = array(
"a's", "able", "about", "above", "according", "accordingly", "across", "actually", "after", "afterwards", "again", "against", "ain't", "all", "allow",
"allows", "almost", "alone", "along", "already", "also", "although", "always", "am", "among", "amongst", "an", "and", "another", "any", "anybody", "anyhow",
"anyone", "anything", "anyway", "anyways", "anywhere", "apart", "appear", "appreciate", "appropriate", "are", "aren't", "around", "as", "aside", "ask",
"asking", "associated", "at", "available", "away", "awfully", "be", "became", "because", "become", "becomes", "becoming", "been", "before", "beforehand",
"behind", "being", "believe", "below", "beside", "besides", "best", "better", "between", "beyond", "both", "brief", "but", "by", "c'mon", "c's", "came",
"can", "can't", "cannot", "cant", "cause", "causes", "certain", "certainly", "changes", "clearly", "co", "com", "come", "comes", "concerning", "consequently",
"consider", "considering", "contain", "containing", "contains", "corresponding", "could", "couldn't", "course", "currently", "definitely", "described",
"despite", "did", "didn't", "different", "do", "does", "doesn't", "doing", "don't", "done", "down", "downwards", "during", "each", "edu", "eg", "eight",
"either", "else", "elsewhere", "enough", "entirely", "especially", "et", "etc", "even", "ever", "every", "everybody", "everyone", "everything", "everywhere",
"ex", "exactly", "example", "except", "far", "few", "fifth", "first", "five", "followed", "following", "follows", "for", "former", "formerly", "forth",
"four", "from", "further", "furthermore", "get", "gets", "getting", "given", "gives", "go", "goes", "going", "gone", "got", "gotten", "greetings", "had",
"hadn't", "happens", "hardly", "has", "hasn't", "have", "haven't", "having", "he", "he's", "hello", "help", "hence", "her", "here", "here's", "hereafter",
"hereby", "herein", "hereupon", "hers", "herself", "hi", "him", "himself", "his", "hither", "hopefully", "how", "howbeit", "however", "i'd", "i'll", "i'm",
"i've", "ie", "if", "ignored", "immediate", "in", "inasmuch", "inc", "indeed", "indicate", "indicated", "indicates", "inner", "insofar", "instead", "into",
"inward", "is", "isn't", "it", "it'd", "it'll", "it's", "its", "itself", "just", "keep", "keeps", "kept", "know", "knows", "known", "last", "lately", "later",
"latter", "latterly", "least", "less", "lest", "let", "let's", "like", "liked", "likely", "little", "look", "looking", "looks", "ltd", "mainly", "many", "may",
"maybe", "me", "mean", "meanwhile", "merely", "might", "more", "moreover", "most", "mostly", "much", "must", "my", "myself", "name", "namely", "nd", "near",
"nearly", "necessary", "need", "needs", "neither", "never", "nevertheless", "new", "next", "nine", "no", "nobody", "non", "none", "noone", "nor", "normally",
"not", "nothing", "novel", "now", "nowhere", "obviously", "of", "off", "often", "oh", "ok", "okay", "old", "on", "once", "one", "ones", "only", "onto", "or",
"other", "others", "otherwise", "ought", "our", "ours", "ourselves", "out", "outside", "over", "overall", "own", "particular", "particularly", "per", "perhaps",
"placed", "please", "plus", "possible", "presumably", "probably", "provides", "que", "quite", "qv", "rather", "rd", "re", "really", "reasonably", "regarding",
"regardless", "regards", "relatively", "respectively", "right", "said", "same", "saw", "say", "saying", "says", "second", "secondly", "see", "seeing", "seem",
"seemed", "seeming", "seems", "seen", "self", "selves", "sensible", "sent", "serious", "seriously", "seven", "several", "shall", "she", "should", "shouldn't",
"since", "six", "so", "some", "somebody", "somehow", "someone", "something", "sometime", "sometimes", "somewhat", "somewhere", "soon", "sorry", "specified",
"specify", "specifying", "still", "sub", "such", "sup", "sure", "t's", "take", "taken", "tell", "tends", "th", "than", "thank", "thanks", "thanx", "that",
"that's", "thats", "the", "their", "theirs", "them", "themselves", "then", "thence", "there", "there's", "thereafter", "thereby", "therefore", "therein",
"theres", "thereupon", "these", "they", "they'd", "they'll", "they're", "they've", "think", "third", "this", "thorough", "thoroughly", "those", "though",
"three", "through", "throughout", "thru", "thus", "to", "together", "too", "took", "toward", "towards", "tried", "tries", "truly", "try", "trying", "twice",
"two", "un", "under", "unfortunately", "unless", "unlikely", "until", "unto", "up", "upon", "us", "use", "used", "useful", "uses", "using", "usually", "value",
"various", "very", "via", "viz", "vs", "want", "wants", "was", "wasn't", "way", "we", "we'd", "we'll", "we're", "we've", "welcome", "well", "went", "were",
"weren't", "what", "what's", "whatever", "when", "whence", "whenever", "where", "where's", "whereafter", "whereas", "whereby", "wherein", "whereupon",
"wherever", "whether", "which", "while", "whither", "who", "who's", "whoever", "whole", "whom", "whose", "why", "will", "willing", "wish", "with", "within",
"without", "won't", "wonder", "would", "would", "wouldn't", "yes", "yet", "you", "you'd", "you'll", "you're", "you've", "your", "yours", "yourself",
"yourselves", "zero");

/**
  • Like 1

It seems to work when searching for "Site+Map" or "Site%2BMap".

Thx Soma. I searched the forums but did not think of the stopwords. Sometimes it's hard to remember if stuff has been asked before :)

What added to my confusion was that i wasn't able to find any 3-letter page titles with the default selector. Ofcourse, it's in the docs.

The *= and ~= rely upon MySQL fulltext indexes, which only index words of at least a certain length (configurable, but typically 4 characters). They also don't index common English words called stopwords. So while it's preferable to use *= and ~= for their speed, if you aren't getting the results you need, you should consider using %= instead (if you can handle the speed hit).

I sometimes forget a lot of info is already there.

Regarding the Site Map example using ~= : Here it also encounters the lenght stuff i guess. It seems to treat every word on it's own if there are spaces. Rename Site Map(3 characters) to Site Mapp and it finds it perfectly well with ~=.

You can adjust the length issue in your MySQL settings (search forum for ft_min_word_len). But unless you are dealing with a really large site, you might just want to use the %= version, which uses MySQL LIKE. This will also solve the stopwords issue. It's supposed to be a whole lot slower, but you likely won't be able to tell any difference in speed until you get into tens of thousands of searchable records.

• Like 1