YucatanLiving by 99Lime.com

joshuag

The latest 99Lime website, http://www.yucatanliving.com. Everything you ever wanted to know about living and experiencing life in the Yucatan. This was a huge project with a ton of different sections and templates. With Processwire we created a very large site with a lot of different content types and information without making the administration complex. We are very happy with how this project turned out and our clients love it! Processwire rocks the casbah!

Shoutout to: Orlando world's most awesome processwire dev.

Notable features

• Galleries

• Categories

• Search

• Advertising page /es

• Getting started

• 100% responsive

• Polls

• Event lists

• Custom Calendar of Events Module

• Custom Advertising Modules

• 404 ;)

• Dynamic CSS colors

• Users and profiles.

A few details.

• Over 1600 articles

• 20 templates

• A ton of Fields

• HTML KickStart

• jQuery

• Custom roles

ProcessWire Modules used

• Custom CRON Module

• FieldTypeColorPicker

• FieldTypeConcat

• FieldTypeFontIconPicker

• Map Marker

• ProFields

• FieldTypePoll

• FieldTypeSelect

• Form Builder

• Migrator

• WordPress Migrator

• Batcher

• JumpLinks

• Comments Manager

• ListerPro

• New Comments System

• Video embed for YouTube/Vimeo

• Custom-built Advertising platform module.

• Custom-built Recurring Calendar module.

Jquery Modules used

• Remodal

• ImageLightbox

• Sticky-kit

• BxSlider

• FitVids

• Jquery-Touch-Swipe-Drag

post-71-0-41840100-1439419384_thumb.jpg

post-71-0-86045400-1439419412_thumb.jpg

post-71-0-85502200-1439419443_thumb.jpg

post-71-0-77164100-1439419620_thumb.jpg

post-71-0-32628600-1439419750_thumb.jpg

post-71-0-08705700-1439419793_thumb.jpg

post-71-0-35531600-1439420550_thumb.png

post-71-0-17592300-1439420595_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Huge site man, nice work! Looks like a ton of sweat and tears.

I noticed that you have HTML tags in some meta-tags, which at least W3C and Chrome doesn't like. For example on this site: http://www.yucatanliving.com/art/mayaland-stained-glass-windows

<meta name="description" content="If you are going to Chichen Itza, consider walking out the back entrance towards <a href="http://www.mayaland.com/">Mayaland </a>(or driving around and parking there) to check out these beautiful stained glass windows..." /> 

Same in the og:description-meta.

If you don't mind some criticism: one thing that really bugs me is the navigation. I feel a little lost with all those links, which don't seem to be structured in any way (or I just didn't get it ;)). I just don't feel 'guided', hope you know what I mean.

Cheers

• Like 2

Nice (and huge)! It feels compact though.

Care to share how many devs were involved in the project, and how much time did it take?

Ps. As I see there is no max width set so the site looks weird on a 2560x1080 screen.

Huge site man, nice work! Looks like a ton of sweat and tears.

I noticed that you have HTML tags in some meta-tags, which at least W3C and Chrome doesn't like. For example on this site: http://www.yucatanliving.com/art/mayaland-stained-glass-windows

<meta name="description" content="If you are going to Chichen Itza, consider walking out the back entrance towards <a href="http://www.mayaland.com/">Mayaland </a>(or driving around and parking there) to check out these beautiful stained glass windows..." /> 

Same in the og:description-meta.

If you don't mind some criticism: one thing that really bugs me is the navigation. I feel a little lost with all those links, which don't seem to be structured in any way (or I just didn't get it ;)). I just don't feel 'guided', hope you know what I mean.

Cheers

Thank you! You really helped a lot by pointing that out so we could fix it :)

Nice (and huge)! It feels compact though.

Care to share how many devs were involved in the project, and how much time did it take?

Ps. As I see there is no max width set so the site looks weird on a 2560x1080 screen.

It was only Joshua and me on the project, working on it for about 5 months.

• Like 1

LOVE the style! Bright. Colorful. Well laid out!

LOVE the calendar!!! SSSOOO simple to understand and view!

one thing that really bugs me is the navigation. I feel a little lost with all those links, which don't seem to be structured in any way (or I just didn't get it ;)). I just don't feel 'guided', hope you know what I mean.

Same here.

When browsing any site, I generally hover a link to see where it displays in my statusbar to tell me where it will take me.

Perhaps a subtle different hover color, or background color?

Great site Joshua! It really drew me in and I ended up reading a few articles there and started thinking "hey maybe we should move to the Yucatan someday". I think you guys totally nailed it, the site is an experience, felt native to the region, and your client must be very happy. I actually liked all the navigation options myself, though agree some kind of hover effect would be helpful.

The only thing I'd mention here (beyond that I love the site) is that pages loaded a bit slowly from here in Atlanta. Run it through webpagetest.org, as it has a lot of suggestions that could make a big difference (especially setting expires headers on the image and css/js assets, of which there are a significant amount). The time to load first byte is also pretty high, which–if not something to do with server/bandwidth–indicates a lot of work is being done on the PHP/template file side, and enabling template cache or ProCache could make a big difference, even if you only use a 5-10 minute cache. 

Would you mind adding the site to our site directory?

• Like 2

It was only Joshua and me on the project, working on it for about 5 months.

Thanks, that is more than I thought first but I tend to (very) underestimate things. Migrating content is especially pita, knowing that from self experience :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the great feedback and comments :)

@ryan, yeah we need to do a bunch of performance work. Poco a poco (little by little) we are filling in some of the optimizations. We are very excited! This is v1 and we have a lot more in store for this site. If you guys ever need someone to show you around in the Yucatan, be sure to give me a call. :)

Processwire made this site a pleasure to build and administrate. I can't imagine using anything else. Thank you!!

Also, I will add it to the directory :)

• Like 1