Large images in backend - problem?

kater

Since PW API handles image resizing so nicely, i think of using original images (up to 15MB) on archive articles for whatever "retina"/download/... reason the client might come up at a later point.

The images did not display in the backend view due "not enough memory" until i set PHP momory limit to 256MB. No other testing issues yet but i have only 5 pages rather than hundreds. Webspace is plenty.

Do you see any problems here performancewise?

thanks!

I don't think this has anything to do with physical memory but the memory used in loading the images, are you using a PHP function to read the image, that would be responsible for the increase a memory uses. also 15mb image is quite large

Php has to load the image uncompressed to the memory, so you need to have lots of ram and this will be needed everytime you generate a thumbnail. So if you ever have a situation, where multiple thumbnails would be generated, this will slow down the server considerably.

• Like 2

only way to handle such big images would be a normal file field prepared to load the big ones to have it for download or something else....and save them while uploading in a smarter size in a image field....?

• Like 1

thanks for your replies.

it's only a couple images per article (once every few weeks). so once the thumbs/downloadable images sizes are generated the server should do ok? however, rebuilding the thumbs/cache will certainly cause some stress.

guess i will try to find a way to generate various files while uploading. the users receive the original files from the photographer but depending who's in charge, resizing for web and uploading the original in various sizes in seperate fields will challenge some ;)

cheers!