Dynamic Meta Tags (SEO)

Nico Knoll

I'm no SEO expert but i think none of the major search engines pays attention to the meta keywords tag anymore. Can't look it up right now but there should be plenty of resources, including videos from Googles Mat Cutts.

In fact, if you abuse it (intended or unknowingly) it may hurt your rankings.

In most cases it's probably best to focus on adequate meta titles and descriptions and don't bother with keywords.

-- EDIT

For future reference; some info here:

http://www.metatags.org/google_ignores_meta_tags_in_ranking

• Like 4

BTW, you could do this:

<?php echo $page->meta_title ?: $pages->get('/')->meta_title; ?>

instead of this

<?php echo (($page->meta_title) ? $page->meta_title : $pages->get('/')->meta_title); ?>
  • Like 2

There is a way to add those meta fields to all templates at once, bit I couldn't add the whole group. I guess that would be a usefull thing to be able to do as metatags are usually used for all accessible pages on a site. Do you have any ideas how it can be possible?

Any questions left?

If you have time and desire to extend that very useful tutorial I would be very interested in learning ways to implement actually "Dynamic Meta Tags" (those shown here are custom, but not really dynamic). Maybe with Hanna Code or something like that. Of cource we can easily add that "dynamics" in the template, but that is not a good thing if you got someone doing SEO who is not so much into development. By "dynamic" I mean generated by template from other fields and the logic is configurable via GUI.

• Like 1