"Unable to generate password hash" when log in after site is deployed

JohnHalsey

I've just put a new site up on a live server.

The site works as it should, but when I go to log in to the back end I get the below error.

Unable to generate password hash

I found a post on here about resetting the password and running a small script in a template to reset password, then running a page from the that template on the server to run the script, then I should be able to log in. But that hasn't worked.  I added the code to the template and uploaded it to the site, ran the page and got an internal error (looks like 500 error).

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

I think it is because the live hosting is running an antiquated version of PHP. You should check if the version =>5.3.8

PW uses blowfish hashes for the password system if available. A PHP version conflict between dev and live servers, where dev has =>5.3.8 and live has not, will generate the notices you encountered in my experience.

Instead of trying to work around this it would be best to ask the hoster to upgrade.

I ran it again in debug mode and got this.  I've starred out my password

Fatal error: Exception: Unable to generate password hash (in /www/sites/bf5/fe5/www.reppro-kids.co.uk/web/wire/core/Password.php line 270) #0 /www/sites/bf5/fe5/www.reppro-kids.co.uk/web/wire/core/Password.php(93): Password->hash('****') #1 [internal function]: Password->___setPass('****') #2 /www/sites/bf5/fe5/www.reppro-kids.co.uk/web/wire/core/Wire.php(359): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #3 /www/sites/bf5/fe5/www.reppro-kids.co.uk/web/wire/core/Wire.php(317): Wire->runHooks('setPass', Array) #4 /www/sites/bf5/fe5/www.reppro-kids.co.uk/web/wire/core/Password.php(73): Wire->__call('setPass', Array) #5 /www/sites/bf5/fe5/www.reppro-kids.co.uk/web/wire/core/Password.php(73): Password->setPass('****') #6 /www/sites/bf5/fe5/www.reppro-kids.co.uk/web/wire/modules/Fieldtype/FieldtypePassword.module(72): Password->__set('pass', '****') #7 /www/sites/bf5/fe5/www.reppro-kids.co.uk/web/wire/core/Page.php(517): FieldtypePassword->sanitizeValue(Object(User), Object(Field), '****') #8 /www/sit in/www/sites/bf5/fe5/www.reppro-kids.co.uk/web/index.php on line 216

This error message was shown because site is in debug mode ($config->debug = true; in /site/config.php). Error has been logged.

My clients hosting is with LCN.  I've sent them a support ticket to find out what version they're running.