Seeking help diagnosing/fixing ProcessWire install problems

debbylevinson

I've been helping a freelance client migrate a ProcessWire site from one server to another. His hosting provider is migrating all their customers to this new server, which is not configured in the same way as the current one. As a result, I have had to take the slightly unusual step of using an index.php from the 2.3 dev build on top of a regular install. (See http://processwire.com/talk/topic/5317-cant-log-in-this-request-was-aborted-because-it-appears-to-be-forged/ for details.)

Although I've gotten all his data migrated, and ProcessWire is running on the new server, I can no longer log into the admin UI. I have the correct username/password, and even tried resetting the password on the off chance that was the problem. (It wasn't.) It's very possible that something about the new server's configuration is confusing ProcessWire, but as I am neither a ProcessWire expert nor a Unix sysadmin, I can't figure out the problem. (None of the solutions I found on the forums for "login failed" seemed to address the issue.)

This may be a fast fix for someone who knows what they're doing. It may not. I can't tell. Either way, please contact me at debby@alum.mit.edu so that I can get a sense of your capabilities, your availability, and your rate for this kind of ProcessWire work.

Did you first go through this post:

http://processwire.com/talk/topic/4491-unable-to-log-into-processwire-website/

Did you try erasing the login admin and password directly in the database table called field_pass and replace them with a known hash from another processwire install ? You can do a fresh processwire install and setup admin = admin and password = 12345678 then copy the hash from the tables in the database and put them in the database tables where you can not login. If that doesn't help then try these posts:

http://processwire.com/talk/topic/1736-forgot-backend-password-how-do-you-reset/

http://processwire.com/talk/topic/4011-cannot-login-to-admin-area/

Is the php version on the new hoster a higher version ?

• Like 1

I can see the login page, so the first link doesn't apply in this case; what's happening is that whenever I attempt to log in, I get "login failed," even though the username is correct, and one of the two passwords I've tried should also be correct. Changing the sessionName and sessionFingerprint values hasn't done the trick either. If it helps, both the old and new server are running PHP 5.3.10.

At this point, I'm out of time to fix this myself, not to mention out of my depth. I'm really looking for someone with more expertise than I have to come in and fix this on my client's behalf. If you're interested in this project, please contact me at debby@alum.mit.edu.

Thanks.

There are several other things you can try. Please take a read through the posts that come up with the google search:

site:processwire.com "login failed" migration

A key thing that keeps coming up is folder permissions: "the permissions on the folder site/assets/ and on the site/config"

That's the process I used to try resetting the password. Although it's worked for me in the past, I am still getting the same "login failed" error I got before I reset the password, so I don't know if the password reset worked at all. This is why I mentioned I had two possible valid passwords, and wasn't sure which was the correct one. (But I've been trying both, obviously.)

I really do appreciate your suggestions, as well as pwired's. But as I mentioned upthread, I'm out of time to diagnose and fix this myself and am really looking for someone to take over here, even if it means reinstalling from scratch.

What tool do you use to transfer the files to the new server ? Are you sure all the files made it over in the transfer to the new server and all file permissions are retained ? Did you check /site/config.php ? Check if there is anything in the site/cache folder, if yes, then delete everything and see if you can login.

I've been using RBrowser, a Mac file transfer client. I used the import/export plugin to move the data into a fresh ProcessWire install, so I'm sure everything arrived; presumably it all has the correct permissions, since it was a fresh install. The only folders/files whose permissions I changed were the ones in assets, since those had to be 777 to get anything to work at all. There is nothing in the cache folder.