Installation step problem

bhartley

Hello

I am new to the forums and require some assistance setting up processwire, my knowledge of setting up content management systems, web language and databases is rather limited. I am currently having trouble setting up a content management system, everything has worked so far but I am stuck part way through the installation process.

After successfully putting in details for my database with 'MySQL' it throws up some warning messages which I have tried to google but have got nowhere after much digging for support forums etc.

I will attach a screenshot to the post, i'm wondering if it's something to do with permissions or apache ?

My knowledge is limited in web developing and servers.

I am running it in a Windows server 2003 virtual machine.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

post-1794-0-72361100-1379676685_thumb.jp

Welcome to PW!

It looks as if there are already files in your /htdocs/ folder. PW will happily install in a subfolder (like /htdocs/pw/ for example), or you could delete everything from /htdocs/ if you know only PW should be in there.

Thanks very much guys for getting back to me so quickly:

DaveP : deleting everything in 'htdocs' just causes a not found page, not finding the install.php file - screenshot 'p4' attached. Even creating the pw folder within htdocs/pw doesn't change anything (same as first attachment - first post)

adrian: I have tried entering in the details and proceeding but I just get a php information page with all the config and the following errors at the end of the page. Please see attachments p1/2/3.

Thankyou

post-1794-0-91840500-1379689208_thumb.pn

post-1794-0-36720500-1379689210_thumb.pn

post-1794-0-76479900-1379689211_thumb.pn

post-1794-0-98401100-1379689212_thumb.pn

Hi Ben,

Welcome to PW and the forums. Out of curiousity, am wondering ,are you tied to using the Windows Server virtual machine? If not and especially if eventually you want to deploy your site to an Apache, Linux, PHP server, I'd suggest ditching WS virtual machine and instead, test PW on either WAMP or XAMPP. This will allow you to get up and running quickly, especially since you are new to the CMS world...:). If these terms don't make sense even after Googling, I'd be happy to provide more info :D.

kongondo: What is WAMP and XAMPP, i am very new to this, it does sound interesting ?

DaveP: That has worked, thanks. I now am able to login to my processwire account with my username and password to manage the content of the site, if that is correct. When I make changes with to the content management system I notice the changes on the site by going to the URL /processwire/.

Is the URL /processwire/ accessing the website offline, and when I make changes in the content management system it replicates to the offline version ?

A few things:

is making config.php non writable a matter of changing the configuration, removing the ; or along those lines?

what are the run time errors ?

I'll attach a few screenshots to see if i've reached the right stage. Thanks for your assistance/patience all.

post-1794-0-69960900-1379923447_thumb.jp

post-1794-0-75680500-1379923452_thumb.jp

kongondo: What is WAMP and XAMPP, i am very new to this, it does sound interesting ?

These are tools for local webdevelopment, including all you need. Easy to handle. Also there are portable versions (no need for installation).

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

http://www.wampserver.com/en/

http://www.easyphp.org/

• Like 1

Further to Manfred62's comments, depending on the platform you run locally, you would use-

XAMP = OS X, Apache, mySQL, PHP

WAMP = Windows, Apache, etc

or on most (all?) Linux distros a web server (Apache, mySQL & PHP) is installed by default, but may need to be configured to run at startup.