Where is "Responsive" Going Next?

MatthewSchenker

Greetings,

I have long believed that all our talk about "responsive" is short-term.  Responsive Web Design is certainly important, but I just don't believe the techniques we use now can continue to meet the expanding demands that will be put on developers/designers in the very near future.

I've been thinking about this for a while.  And then I read this...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/21/technology/google-looks-to-make-its-computer-glasses-stylish.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0&hp

Hold onto your seats!

Thanks,

Matthew

When I first started playing with sites I tried creating them with VRML (I think I have that right after all these years).

It was the way forward - every site would be a journey into 3d!

That was, what, 15 years ago?

Second Life was the prediction I made in an article back then, which has happened, and become a niche and rather tacky.

I think Facebook and Twitter are the important lessons - almost design free. Purely a frame work for putting words and images in front of people, at the end of the day.

With things like Google Glass, if they actually become mainstream, the internet will come back to being how it started - just about text. With any luck, audio will make a comeback in a radio style format. (Some designer who will no doubt be hailed a genius will realise that you can Listen and do something else at the same time - which you cant easily do when reading)

But if we are going to use the internet by overlaying information onto our minute-to-minute lives, it is going to need to be a lot less cluttered than a site we might design now. - I mean, a block of text and an optional image/video/audio.

At that point, we wont have to worry about it being responsive any more!

If RWD could just stay still long enough for me to get to grips with it, it would be much appreciated ;)

(that applies pretty much for any new web craze by the way!)

I feel like the fat guy who finally catches up, wheezing, with hands on knees and bent double, only for the other runners to say "Right, let's get moving again!"

• Like 3

onjegolders: I feel your pain. But there are lot's of skills in web development and design that "don't get old" and learning and mastering those are beneficial now and tomorrow:

• design in general
  • typography
  • color theories
  • coding in general
  • drawing, illustrations
  • usability
  • accessibility
  • relational databases
  • coding patterns
  • regexps
  • you got the idea :)

I used to try learn "all new things" as fast as I could. Now when I have over 6 years experience as a professional (+10 years as a hobby) I am much more skeptical about new and shiny things. Of course there are new things that are clearly beneficial  (RWD, NoSQL, CoffeeScript, Mobile Apps, Node.js... list is endless), it doesn't mean that you should learn and use all of those. It also doesn't mean that your years of design/coding experience has vanished or that PHP/MySQL cannot be used in anything anymore, or that all sites should be responsive. Usually best practice is wait a little to see which of the new trends are just trends and which are here to stay for a while and proving to be interesting and beneficial for you to learn.

I also recommend to read some basics about the topics that are popping from each corner: when you know what is it, you will stress about it much less: "Ah, so Node.js is basically javascript on server side, and it seems to be great in realtime apps because of some bizarre reason. Good to know, but I think that at this point I don't need to learn how to use Node in my work."

• Like 6

Agree with Antii. If you learn the main concepts, you can learn everything. Last book I read was the excellent http://www.javascriptenlightenment.com/ and I can only recommend it to anyone that want understand the concepts of Javascript instead of just copy/pasting jQuery snippets around. What I mean is, after understanding Javacript, copy/pastindg jQuery snippets becomes so much more fun. And that applies to everything, read insightful book about CSS3, and you'll understand responsive design and much more.

edit: speaking of node.js, I've been fooling around with it lately (I must say I love the informality of creating the server on the file itself) and noticed that there are only very (too) simple CMSs. Would be great to port the concept of PW to a node.js CMS. Just thought I should throw this idea in the air ;)