front end php editor

Frank Schneider

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, Frank Schneider said:

But I'm looking for an editor where you don't have to edit the HTML code. I'm looking for an editor like a CMS.

CMS is the wrong word for it - you mean "WYSIWYG Editor" or "Pagebuilder" (CMS = Content MANAGEMENT System)

I think if you don't want to write HTML (or PHP), then Processwire is not the best choice for you.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

ProcessWire does and doesn't do this. You initially have to edit your HTML templates to define the structure of pages on your website, but after this, all the editing of the content can be done either on the front-end or back-end without having to edit HTML directly.

Most other CMSs do the same, just some come with a lot of predefined themes to get you up and going where someone else has created the HTML templates.

Both the strength and weakness of ProcessWire is that it doesn't come with a lot of predefined themes.

That's because ProcessWire doesn't try to decide for you how your site should be structured, and third-party themes for other CMSs typically depend on the CMS having a specific structure to data.

That might seem like a good idea, until the moment you try to do something that doesn't fit the assumptions the CMS has made about how data should be structured, then it turns into a nightmare to try to make it do something different.

ProcessWire makes virtually no assumptions about your data, which is why it requires some knowledge of HTML to make templates to start with, but it's much easier to change than other CMSs, and once you've got your HTML templates, it's very easy to edit content without needing to know anything about HTML, and is arguably more intuitive for editing content than some other CMSs that involve some clunky and inconsistent plugins and add-ons to do anything beyond the basics.

I guess you could use the analogy, ProcessWire is a box of Lego bricks. You've got to do some construction, limited only by your imagination. Other CMSs are like a ready made toy. If it's the toy you want, then they're quicker and easier, but if you got a toy car, and really wanted a helicopter, then trying to change it is going to be hard. With ProcessWire it can be a car or a helicopter, but you've got to build it.

• Like 1