AJAX Image upload

moondawgy

The way currently that you have to save a page before then going back and adding it/them to the WYSYWIG (if you want it to appear in the bodycopy for instance and not via a template call) is very time consuming.

I think an AJAX routine and then once all images have been uploaded, a DONE button (which commits the files to the system) would be better I think.

• 3 weeks later...

@apeisa: That's actually one of the worse ajax upload plugins I've seen. The problem with this is, that there are many solutions which solve only part of a problem – multiple files selection, background upload, etc.

While I agree, that some AJAX file editor is needed, I also think this should not be rushed and the one selected should be carefully selected [just because it may be crucial for page/image fields – and they are very important part of field family for users/templates/repeatables (in future)]

@apeisa: That's actually one of the worse ajax upload plugins I've seen. The problem with this is, that there are many solutions which solve only part of a problem – multiple files selection, background upload, etc.

I haven't looked more further than just the tried the demo and read features, so I'm not saying that this is better/worse from others. I'm not sure if I understand your comment right, but doesn't this support multiple files selection & background upload? Also, it also has graceful fallback, so it works for legacy browsers also. Of course since this isn't flash/java based it means that to get all the bells and whistles users would need to have a good browser.

Or is that the problem? Should it be all-or-nothing solution, so we can count that it works same way in all browsers? What is desired browser support level for current pw admin btw?

PW2 admin browser support is currently built around recent Webkit and Mozilla browsers (Firefox 3.5+, Chrome 7+, Safari 4+). IE8+ also works just fine, though not running on a PC I haven't spent as much time in that browser... though I consider supporting it always of major importance. I believe the only place where IE8 is a little strange right now is in the TinyMCE image editing functions. It works, but there's some strange overlay issues getting confuse between the windows. Opera support is also on the to-do list.

I like the idea of these file upload widgets, and the one you posted seemed to work well when I tested it. I'm particularly interested in an HTML5 widget option where one could drag files into it. But I think the best solution will be to make these options something that the user can select what upload widget they want. For instance, they can use the basic HTML one, or they can choose an alternate via a plugin module, kind of like how they can select "TinyMCE" (and likely others, in the future) with the Textarea fieldtype.

• 2 months later...

Two or three years ago, while making highly customized Quote system for one art gallery, I used Uploadify. I think it was fairly easy to set it up, so I checked it – and it's still online, still in development, still looking quite good.

What I most liked about it was that every message, every output was pure HTML, so it was easily customized in terms design (back then, almost every ajax uploader was flash :))

http://www.uploadify.com/