Upgrading ProcessWire Sites

JC_G

I'm new to ProcessWire and I have been tasked with moving ProcessWire to a new Webserver (Win 2003 -> 2016), I would be greatful for advice with the following.

We maintain 2 separate processwire sites on 2 seperate versions (I really don't know why).  One version is v2.5.7 the other being v2.7.1.  I noice there is a ProcessWireUpgrade module developed by Ryan having with the last update being deployed in 5th Dec 2016.  which is compatible with v2.5 - v3.0.  is this a viable option?

How can I determine if both sites are connecting to the same MySQL database?

Is there a simple step by step guide for Windows.

I've attempted to research the best approach however from the threads I've read I don't see any best practice steps. https://processwire.com/talk/topic/15682-backup-website-best-practice/

Hi @JC_G and welcome to PW and the forum ?

1. Make sure PW runs smoothly on the new server (go through the step by step installation process of the current version)
  2. If that works, make a zip file of all files of the old website and do a database dump
  3. Copy over the files to the new server, restore the database

This can be all there is to do.

If something goes wrong, just tell us what the exact problem is. There are also tools like https://modules.processwire.com/modules/duplicator/ that you can use.

For upgrading there is a guide in the docs: https://processwire.com/docs/start/install/upgrade/

• Like 4

Hey!

Bernhard already summarised the steps quite nicely above, but one thing I'd like to add is that if you do run into Windows specific issues, you might find solutions from some of the existing threads — e.g.

On a loosely related note, the forum search can be pretty horrible at times, so if you're looking for something specific you'll usually have better luck googling for it (site:processwire.com/talk) ?

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, JC_G said:

How can I determine if both sites are connecting to the same MySQL database?

Managed to miss this one. Check /site/config.php, you should find the database host/domain, credentials, etc. from there.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, JC_G said:

One version is v2.5.7 the other being v2.7.1.

14 hours ago, JC_G said:

Can it really be that simple?

Hi @JC_G

it can be and in most times it is that simple. Only thing I spotted is the version 2.5.7. I remember that there were some changes in regard of image (naming) processing around 2.5.11. So it can be a good additional check to look if there are some image related inputfieldtypes in use. (Check the modules - site screen, and if you find something like thumbnail- or croppable-image modules, please post there names here and I may provide some tipps or links, if necessary). But you also just can install it in a testversion on the new server, upgrade Processwire core to the latest stable and test and look if everything is working as expected.

• Like 3