Weekly update for August 23, 2019

ryan

Hope you guys are having a great week. I'll keep this week's update short since everything I'm working on is in-progress rather than ready to post. But I can tell you about a few things you'll likely see in next week's post: 

First is that I've got multi-page/paginated form support just about ready to release in FormBuilder. What this means is that you can take forms (especially long forms) and break them up into multiple paginations. This makes for multi-part forms that are more digestible and easy to use for users. The end of each pagination has "Next" and "Prev" buttons for navigation between them. FormBuilder validates each pagination independently as it is submitted so that any errors are taken care of as the user proceeds rather than all at the end. And these are true paginated forms, rather than a JS manipulation of existing forms. More on this next week.

I'm also working here on a new Inputfield module called InputfieldToggle. It's an alternative to the core InputfieldCheckbox and the intention here is to make it a selectable alternative for FieldtypeCheckbox fields. Unlike InputfieldCheckbox, it is presented as two radio buttons for "on" and "off" states. (It's also possible to have a "no selection" state distinct from the "no" state, where supported). It comes predefined with several toggle types (Yes/No, On/Off, True/False, Enabled/Disabled), along with the ability to specify your own (multi-language too of course). Like a checkbox, because it is a toggle, it holds a value of either true (1) or false (0). There is also null for no selection. While this is a relatively simple Inputfield, it answers a common need (at least in my experience) and often can provide a better experience than a standard checkbox, depending on the input need. Not to mention, it's a lot more efficient than using an Options or Page field to accomplish the same thing. In addition to sites and apps running in ProcessWire, I think this particular Inputfield has a lot of potential use in the core and its administrative forms, so I might include it in the core, though not yet certain. I'm already using it quite a bit in forms I'm developing for clients in FormBuilder, where in many cases I find it a better fit than InputfieldCheckbox. 

Lastly, there are some nice UI enhancements just about ready for manipulating column widths of fields in ProcessWire. It makes it a much simpler and quicker job than it currently is, so I'll have more on that next week too. Have a great weekend! 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, ryan said:

In addition to sites and apps running in ProcessWire, I think this particular Inputfield has a lot of potential use in the core and its administrative forms, so I might include it in the core, though not yet certain.

Please do – the core would definitely benefit from this ?

• Like 5