Processwire to email sig

Peter Knight

This is a simple enough use-case but was a good reminder (to me) of how PW can be used for simple stuff.

A client rang me with a small but irritating problem. Every member of their staff have slightly different email signatures and it looks unprofessional. Even their clients had mentioned it.

Initially I said I'd look into creating a few dreamweaver html templates or seeing what 3rd party signature solutions are available. The problem though is they're not a technical bunch and asking them to edit html etc is out of the question. The solution needs to be super simple for them.

After a few hours looking at some solutions I realised I can do this very effectively with PW. It has such as nice UI and they'll be able to self manage most of it

My plan is to

• set up a couple of fields: name (page title), email, telephone, Linkedin etc etc
  • Give the client access to create new pages (staff)
  • Allow client to create new pages (staff members) based on a simple HTML template
  • Use PW's "add new" button to auto save pages into a parent folder called Sigs

and we're done!

I probably need to look at a way to produce inline css as this is eventually integrated into Outlook
A foolproof way to display the actual HTML too (instead of view-source) would be great as I imagine they will need to copy and paste the actual html.

I know it's hardly a technical masterclass but it's an interesting little job perfectly suited to PW.

• Like 2

I had a thing with signatures as well. Outlook is really picky though, and so everything would need to be formatted properly. Image DPIs also need to be considered, as, in Outlook, 72ppi and 96ppi are two vastly different things. Outlook prefers 96ppi, otherwise the image is enlarged for some reason.

I once wrote an app for this, where a template was created using Outlook, and signatures were created based on the template. The app then compiled the signature in HTML, RTF, and plain text (using a different template created in, well, plain text). The signature was then installed automatically, and the user simply had to select the signature for the account in Mail Options -- done! The app has since been destroyed, though, as it didn't work on around half of the enviros it needed to, and it was no longer a viable option. The generating signatures part was good though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sérgio Jardim said:

Maybe this gives you ideas: http://foundation.zurb.com/emails/inliner-v2.html ;)

That's a good one. The MailChimp one is good too.
https://templates.mailchimp.com/resources/inline-css/

I'd love to keep the amount of steps for my client right down but at some stage they'll probably need to use this maually.

Thanks for the link :)

• Like 2