A few sites

ryan

Here are a few ProcessWire sites I've launched in the last month or so. Nothing real big or exciting here, but figured it's good to post new stuff here when available.

Blue Ridge Beverage

This is a beer distributor for the state of Virginia in USA. I designed it back in 2009, but the client only recently came back and wanted it developed and launched. A friend did most of the development and did a great job getting everything working in ProcessWire. The client is still populating content here, so there are a few holes, especially in the Beverages database.

Almanac of Architecture & Design

Before you click on this one, note that this is using the default ProcessWire "basic site" profile (the client fell in love with it and didn't want to change… what can I do). But don't let that fool you, because this is actually quite a large and comprehensive site, particularly the Architecture Firms database. This one has dynamic maps, graphs, search engines and stats galore. :) There's also some fun stuff in the Buildings section. This site is an on-going project, so some sections are built out more than others, and stuff will be continually added to it.

Jamaica Villas

I just did the development on this one (not the design, other than tweaks). The design they had was very much in line with the Kickstart framework, so I stuck with it when producing in ProcessWire. I enjoyed using it, and was nice to use a framework developed by another ProcessWire user. I've worked on a few other villa sites in the past, and this one is smaller in terms of quantity of properties, though still involved a lot of work. This one has a full calendar and availability tracking system built into it (all running on ProcessWire), so it can search by availability or look at availability calendars and such. So there's a lot of power packed into this one. I just wish I'd had the opportunity to do the full design on this one, but it was still a satisfying and enjoyable project (as most are, when using ProcessWire) :)

• Like 13

Hey Ryan,

I like the look of the Blue Ridge Beverage site. I haven't seen a lot of your design work, but it seems to have your style.

Some thoughts:

• Increase the font-size to 17px or so on the main nav — it's a bit small for and hard to read as-is (IMO).

• in the events section, have a link back to events, in addition to the link back to the division.

If you didn't get to the event via the division, the "back to division-x" is moderately confusing.

Just my opinions of course, thanks again for sharing.

Also, The Almanac of Architecture and Design site is really cool. The default PW theme is a bit weird to see on a production site, but it works well and there is some really cool stuff on there.

:)

Thanks for sharing these, Ryan. Your notes make total sense to me, and I feel like I've been in similar situations before myself. :)

I just wish I'd had the opportunity to do the full design on this one

...I know that feeling very well.

the client fell in love with it and didn't want to change… what can I do

This made me chuckle. I had something similar happen before, where the client says, "why did you change that part?" "It's the default thing, everybody uses this..." "We like it and want to have it." :)

But how cool is it that you got to do an almanac for a place called DesignIntelligence? Freaking awesome. Let us know what you think of Highcharts, too.

OK, this almanac site is more impressive, the more I look at it. Can you share the back end fields layout? Lots of tabs? It's incredible the way even the simplest information is all wrapped up in links that query for related items. Lots of developers would have said, "not important to query based on all these little things..." This should be what web 4.0 is like.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Can you share the back end fields layout? Lots of tabs?

There are 107 fields, 29 templates, 8 fieldsets, and a little over 1000 pages on the back-end. Most of the work on this one was done before we had field/template context, so if I were building it again there probably wouldn't be quite as many fields.

It's true it may not be important to query on all those little things, but PW makes it so easy to do it that I figure, might as well. :) There are some people that like those details, and I think it also gives the search crawlers more to chew on.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice sites :)

There are 107 fields, 29 templates, 8 fieldsets, and a little over 1000 pages on the back-end. Most of the work on this one was done before we had field/template context, so if I were building it again there probably wouldn't be quite as many fields.

It's true it may not be important to query on all those little things, but PW makes it so easy to do it that I figure, might as well. :) There are some people that like those details, and I think it also gives the search crawlers more to chew on.

Glad to see you've used lots of fields too - makes me feel a bit easier about having done it myself too even though I already know it's fine to do so as long as the template code is sensible (I always worry my code isn't as streamlined as it should be at times, but I'm just happy when it works).

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Jamaica Villas

I just did the development on this one (not the design, other than tweaks). The design they had was very much in line with the Kickstart framework, so I stuck with it when producing in ProcessWire. I enjoyed using it, and was nice to use a framework developed by another ProcessWire user. I've worked on a few other villa sites in the past, and this one is smaller in terms of quantity of properties, though still involved a lot of work. This one has a full calendar and availability tracking system built into it (all running on ProcessWire), so it can search by availability or look at availability calendars and such. So there's a lot of power packed into this one. I just wish I'd had the opportunity to do the full design on this one, but it was still a satisfying and enjoyable project (as most are, when using ProcessWire) smile.png

Hi Ryan,

Nice sites :cool: . I'm interested in the integration of the booking calendar/tracking system. Was this something you wrote yourself or a plugin?