follow this topic by default

bernhard

just a small thing: i think it would be good to turn the option "follow this topic" ON by default. i know you can do this in your settings, but i think for new users this can be really hard to find - especially if they don't even know about it :P

i think this kind of opt-out would make more sense and would prevent new users from missing answeres to their questions (for example if they think their question is already answered but then someone comes whith a new hint and they never read it because they never check back to this topic...)

• Like 1

How about a "Setup Wizard"? Which should also ask for this setting. I understand that it would need a lot more more time to implement than just adjusting the default of "follow this topic", but still...

I haven't read through, but since this forum is scheduled to be updated to IPBoard 4.x fairly soon, maybe there are some new options available:

https://community.invisionpower.com/blogs/entry/9639-40-follow-system/

I can see your intend, but the topic follow can easily generate a lot of emails. I'd support this as default if we can have some kind of "daily activities" email, which aggregates to a single email per day / week. 

get your point

maybe the easiest would be to send every new user a short HOWTO with the most important info (some problems that come up now and then)

• how to attach images to your post
  • how to get notified of replies to your questions (direct link to settings)
  • how to use google to search the forum
  • ?