Holder/Page Pattern

cssabc123

Hi, How do you implement a holder/page pattern in Processwire. The idea is simple. One page type manages the list view, and usually contains very little native content. The primary function of this page is to provide a list of its child pages, providing a brief summary for each one, along with a link to its detail view. A second page type will represent the detail view for any given child page, which will typically have a custom template and content fields that make up its identity. Think of it think like a news listings, image galleries, even a Twitter timeline.

Hi cssabc123, welcome to the forum!

Very quickly and resumed because of time constraints:

- Holder

- article 1

- article 2

//holder.php

foreach ($page->children as $article) {
    echo "<h2>{$article->title}</h2>";
    echo "<p>{$article->summary}</p>";
    echo "<a href='{$article->url}'>Read more</a>";
}
//article.php

echo "<h2>{$article->title}</h2>";
echo "<p>{$article->body}</p>";

I left lots of things out,like pagination, that you can read about here https://processwire.com/blog/posts/processwire-2.6.18-updates-pagination-and-seo/

But hope you get an idea.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot diogo! Just a follow up question.  that means the children pages are unpublished but still created. so if i had 100 child pages I need to create 100 pages? Any way to make only 1 page then dynamically create the detail from a database using Processwire?

Not sure if I understand what you mean. You want to have the detailed content in a custom database, or...?

I'm not suggesting that you duplicate the pages, or something like that. Those are the children pages "detailed view", and they contain all the content.