Hello from Wes

wes

Hi All,

I'm really excited to start working with Processwire. After having used WP as a CMS for some time, it's so refreshing to be able to develop the same back-end features that would normally require at least 5 different plugins for WP (+custom code not even related to front-end). It's such a breeze to use! I seriously didn't think working with a CMS and templating system for PHP could be so logical.

Also, the CSV importer is a life saver...

Finally, I'm really glad to see repeatable fieldsets are on the roadmap for later this year. Personally, I think that will be a killer feature. Although the nature of processwire allows us to create repeatable templates as children to another parent template, being able to create a single template without mutliple "template-as-field" kind of relationships is really going to make it much easier and streamlined for the user, not to mention the dev.

If you guys are looking for some inspiration, check out Advanced Custom Fields for WP. It's been a staple for me, and I think a good model in terms of UI for this type of task.

Great work!

Wes

Hi Wes

Welcome to ProcessWire :)

Just a quick one - repeatable fields are currently being worked on and Ryan has released a video as well as hinting that they might be available this weekend.

Can't link to the actual topic as I'm on my phone, but it should be easy to search for.

Hi Wes

Welcome to ProcessWire. I - like you - have used WordPress as my main CMS recently (as well as Drupal). WordPress is great as a blogging system but lacks some of those features out-of-the-box that are standard features in a CMS. The trouble is - the necessary plugins to add those CMS features can be of very variable quality. As you indicate, there is still a fair bit of custom coding needed even when the necessary plugins are installed. WP is very much focused upon blogging and CMS features are not such a priority for it. I could be wrong but I can't imagine that changing anytime soon due the company that provides the core devs for it being a focused blog service platform.

The security aspect of WordPress also concerns me. Not that it's core is particularly insecure - but more because of those necessary plugins being so variable in quality that they potentially open holes. Also, because it is so popular it has become a big target for hackers.

PW fits my needs almost perfectly and I'm so glad I came across it recently. It sits very well in that area between the ease of use and underpowered features that WP provides and the rediculously complex but equally powerful Drupal. I just love the fact that PW gets out of my way and doesn't assume it knows better than me by writing my markup and CSS for me (here's looking at you Drupal) - I just get pure clean data!

You'll find the community here really friendly and helpful, the development of PW is pretty rapid from what I've seen, It's also a fairly young CMS framework and yet seems rock solid and stable in most aspects.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. The repeatable fields video was awesome.. exactly how I was hoping it would end up working within the interface.

WP is very much focused upon blogging and CMS features are not such a priority for it. [...] The security aspect of WordPress also concerns me. Not that it's core is particularly insecure - but more because of those necessary plugins being so variable in quality that they potentially open holes.

Yeah, I agree. I didn't want to hate on WP too much, because what it comes down to is me pushing it towards a task it is not really designed for. It's a blogging platform, but I want to use it for much more. At that point, there are so many plugins I must incorporate, all at (as you say) variable levels of quality and security. It was time for me to move on. You're absolutely right... PW is pure data, without getting in our way.