Update "How-To Install or Uninstall Modules"

Richard Jedlička

Hi, I think that the page http://modules.processwire.com/install-uninstall/ should be updated according to the current PW's capabilities (Add module from directory/URL/upload). I'm writing this because it would be much better to have the instructions in one place instead of writing them to each module's readme. I'm not sure who is responsible for the content of the page, Ryan? I can update the text if you want, or at least write the proposal.

Here is my proposal. The HTML is in attachments.

There are multiple ways how to install the module.

Installing from directory (recommended)
--------------------------------------

If the module is uploaded in the official *ProcessWire Modules/Plugins Directory* (http://modules.processwire.com), you can use this method.

1. Log in to your ProcessWire admin and go to the *Modules* page.
2. Go to the *New* tab and expand the *Add Module From Directory* section.
3. Enter the *Module Class Name* (can be found in the module's detail page, e.g. FieldtypeMapMarker).
4. Click the *Download and Install* button.

Installing from URL
-------------------

If the module is not in the official *ProcessWire Modules/Plugins Directory* (http://modules.processwire.com), but the module ZIP is accessible from URL, use this method.

2. Go to the *New* tab and expand the *Add Module From URL* section.
3. Enter the *Module ZIP file URL* (can be found in the module's detail page, e.g. https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/FieldtypeMapMarker/archive/master.zip).
4. Click the *Download* button.
5. The downloaded modules are now listed on top of the page. Click the install button next to any of the new modules that you want to install.

Installing from upload
----------------------

If the module ZIP file is not accessible from web or you have it already downloaded, you can upload the file.

2. Go to the *New* tab and expand the *Add Module From Upload* section.
3. Select the *Module ZIP file*.
4. Click the *Upload* button.
5. The uploaded modules are now listed on top of the page. Click the install button next to any of the new modules that you want to install.

Installing manually
-------------------

If any of the above methods isn't suitable for you, you can install the module manually.

1. Place the .module file in your /site/modules/ directory. If the module contains more than one file (like supporting .css or .js files for example), it should be created in it's own directory under /site/modules/ with the same name as the module (.module file). For instance, the FieldtypeMapMarker module and supporting files should be placed in /site/modules/FieldtypeMapMarker/.
2. Log in to your ProcessWire admin and go to the *Modules* page.
3. Click the *Check for New Modules* button.
4. New modules are now listed on top of the page. Click the install button next to any of the new modules that you want to install.

*Note: All third party modules should be placed in /site/modules/. You might also notice that ProcessWire keeps core modules in /wire/modules/ – You should avoid installing your modules there, as that location is reserved for core modules.*

How to uninstall a module
-------------------------

2. Find and click the module name that you want to uninstall.
3. Expand the *Uninstall* section, check the checkbox.
4. Click the *Submit* button.
5. It is now safe to remove the module's files from /site/modules/ if you want to.

how-to-install.html

Edited by LostKobrakai
Fixed a typo
  • Like 8

Ok, I have updated that page with the suggested content. I fixed a few typos, added a git clone section, and also a "How to Upgrade" section.

I'd appreciate a look over for any mistakes or possible improvements.

Thanks again Richard for putting this together.

• Like 2