Installation error

grumpy

I have installed Processwire in the root of a subdomain on my domain host's linux server several times, failed to get access to my ProcessWire, deleted the whole thing, started afresh, and gone round and round in unsuccessful circles till I'm blue in the face.  Please will someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

When I install the processwire-dev  it  connects OK to the database, completes setup including telling me that the admin account is saved and that it  has removed all the unnecessary install stuff, and that depending on my environment I may want to make config.php unwritable etc. etc. It says that my admin url is ******** and gives me a button to access it.  I select the button and get:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, support@iomart.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

I can see the default homepage with the minimal site profile info on it, but none of the links on it work either - they all give the same error message as above. I've got phpinfo on the subdomain but I haven't posted its contents here (security issues?)...

I've even tried installing Processwire on my subdomain via my smartphone to make sure there wasn't a caching problem.  Same failed result as before.

Any ideas please?

Hello,

First, welcome to the ProcessWire Community. We're glad to have you here.

Secondly, reference,  https://processwire.com/talk/topic/9352-fallen-at-the-first-hurdlemobiledetect/

@grumpy, The issues you had with the Mobile Detect module have been resolved.  It had nothing to do with the ProcessWire installation (which you had correct from the beginning) and more to do with an unusual installation routine for the Mobile Detect module.

I honestly believe you need to back up, start from the beginning and you should not have any problems working with ProcessWire.  The Mobile Detect module has been updated and should not cause you any more issues.

If you are still having additional problems, please let us know and we will do all that we can.

Best Regards,

Charles

Hi Charles,

That's what I did do (I think).  I set up a new subdomain from which specifically to run processwire.  I then tried to install it from a fresh download  from the processwire download site. I then went throught the install procedure using default settings except where I had to direct it to the database and to supply an admin password and email address.  Then it completed the setup as I clearly explained at the top of this topic, and it said it was all successfully set up and invited me to log in to my admin.  And there I get the above error message.  From any  browser and any computer or phone...

I should point out that I am not currently trying to install any additional module.  I'm just trying to get basic processwire to install.

Whatever you did in the beginning, I would go back to that.  From reading your original topic, you were able to access the back-end.  From that point on we attempted to provide solutions to help resolve your issue.

Whatever the structure you had originally, was working.  You have attempted too many things since then trying to solve an issue that was not related to the installation of ProcessWIre.

Edit:  Exactly what @LostKobrakaai is saying.

I've been there and tried various things one at a time: I went to each of the places where the htaccess file made suggestion if there was a 500 error, and at each case I changed the commenting as suggested, saved the htaccess filer and then tried to get into admin.  No joy.  So then I would go back into htaccess, undo the change I had just made, go to the next 500 error suggestion and change that, save the htaccess and try again to get into admin. And so ad nauseum.  No joy.  My installation is directly into the empty root of the subdomain: the only other files being a tiny test.html, phpinfo.php, and robots.txt.  The only other thing I can think of if it is an htaccess problem is either that I'm procedurally doing something wrong, or that the htaccess file needs more than one correction doing for processwire to work on my subdomain.

Whatever you did in the beginning, I would go back to that.  From reading your original topic, you were able to access the back-end.  From that point on we attempted to provide solutions to help resolve your issue.

Whatever the structure you had originally, was working.  You have attempted too many things since then trying to solve an issue that was not related to the installation of ProcessWIre.

Edit:  Exactly what @LostKobrakaai is saying.

What I actually said was that I thought it was working originally on my main domain because it let me log in to admin, but what I hadn't realised was that the minute I logged out I could no longer log back into admin because instead of the login page I got the 500 error page.  I have since set up a fresh new subdomain and tried a fresh install in the subdomain and did not even get the chance to do an initial log in...

The only thing which really depends on the server configuration is the RewriteBase. This is dependent on how php and the document roots are set up on the server. It does otherwise not matter to processwire in which folder it is or under which domain it's called.

• Like 2

I have installed Processwire in the root of a subdomain on my domain host's linux server

Do you mean by that your hoster ? Many hosters have there .htaccess restrictions that you have to adapt to in your .htaccess file. Your hosting support can help you out in 5 min.

Many of those .htaccess restrictions are already reported before in the forum. One of them is #Options ---

Did you out comment Options +FollowSymLinks like this, if not try that first:

#Options +FollowSymLinks

Did you check the server actually supports the .htaccess file ? Type "exwaupv" or something at the beginning of it and save. If you don't get a 500 error on your homepage, then your Apache needs a different configuration for your .htaccess

Edit your /site/config.php and change the line that has $config->debug = false; to be true. You might get more information from there.

Did you read Nico's troubleshooting guide about this ?

https://processwire.com/docs/tutorials/troubleshooting-guide/page3

Show us your .htaccess file setup.

Sorted.  I still am not sure how but things are now working correctly.  I have only uncommented the RewriteBase / line and apart from that the .htaccess file is unchanged.  And all is sweetness and light. Don't ask.....

Thank you everybody for your patience and advice.

• Like 2