French (fr-FR)

Guillaume

Hi @Webjack

sorry, not here yesterday...
i think you're not taking advantage of pw multilanguage abilities, processwire is language agnostic and let you do whatever you want
i assume you are making a website with several languages and want the back-end tio be in french, the best way to do this is to consiider french as your default language and add the other ones, included english as other languages, this way your site will be
youdomain.com for french and youdomain.com/en/ youdomain.com /de/ youdomain.com/fi/ for the other languages

just for fun, let's imagine a simple situation, you want to make a website with only french as the front end and back end language, you will not add french as a new language but just, put your content in french and translate the admin in french for the one and only language you're using, french
it's exactly the same thing here except that once this is done, you can add other languages (i've made websites in 7 an 9 languages with pw and the client didn't believe how simple they were to manage when they suddenly wanted to add another language ๐Ÿ™‚ )

coming to the back-end, just add the french translation files to your french default language, it will be the default language of the admin and of the users for whom the language is defined as default
now, let's imagine you'll have different users for the admin, you can set their language chosing among those you've created and for each of those languages just use the language pack to have their interface translated, no need of course for english as without a language pack it will use pw native "wording"

and now, about these front-end translations, of course, pw doesn't translate anything for you but, if you have fully installed all the multi language things pw proposes when installing the language support module, you can, for nearly every field chose a mono or a multi language version, in that last case, the fields will come with tabs that let you enter the content for each language
cherry, i know, now people say icing but i'm an old guy..., ๐Ÿ™‚, on top of the cake, pw lets you choose if you want or not to use the default one content for the other ones when not filled

well, i stop this 1km long post here but if you want some help in french don't hesitate to write me an email using my pseudo @gmail.com and we will discuss all this in french and even, why not, use a share screen thing to show you some tricks that may help you save some time and liters of sweat ๐Ÿ˜„

hope it will help

have a nice day

• Like 1

Hello Virtualgadjo, hello all, ๐Ÿ™‚

i think you're not taking advantage of pw multilanguage abilities, processwire is language agnostic and let you do whatever you want

Oh no, I'm not taking advantage of pw's multilingual capabilities. I only became interested in languages yesterday and now I have to discover everything.

Nevertheless, with what I've read got and seen with my own eyes, I don't doubt these abilities but there's taf and I need answers like this in addition to patience. ย 

i assume you are making a website with several languages and want the back-end tio be in french, the best way to do this is to consiider french as your default language

We're right in the middle of it, and I'd already suspected these conclusions. I'm now starting to put it all together.

In fact, the situation is simpler, if I dare say so, as I didn't want to take the risk of breaking the existing system despite the backups, so I directly installed a copy of Multi-language site profile in another sub-domain, if only to examine it and learn how to use languages. I was not disappointed ๐Ÿ˜‰

I'm going to start by sorting out the last details, finding out how to make French the default language, and Frenchizing the administration if useful.

With that alone, I've got 10,000 questions, because let's not forget that I'm learning ProcessWire and it's not a piece of cake that can be swallowed in five minutes.

Mais quel pied as the French say. ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

(But what a foot !ย the French say)

Hi,

before we tackle with your 10 000 questions ๐Ÿ™‚, in the situation you descibe i would the simplest way to do what you say would be to give all languages a name (the slug) that's to say fr for french, en for english and so on and have the domain aim at yourdomain.com/fr by default

coming to the admin, nothing simplest than using the french language pask for the frenc language (no kidding :D) and then go in your user parameters and choose french as its language, the admin will be in french when logging with this user even if not the default one

i personally don't use the multilanguage profile, always use the blank one but i'm sure it's well set as every thing in pw ๐Ÿ™‚

and yes, what a foot as you say ๐Ÿคฃ and most of all, same as for the clients who love it when coming from shrink customer suppliers like drupal, joomla or even wordpress and discovering how simple it can be to manage a website, even a complex one...

have a nice day

• Thanks 1

But the administration is already in French ๐Ÿ˜‰

Now, this exchange has got me thinking and, while I'm very happy to have installed and examined the multi-language (I'm not done yet), I realize that, in addition to curiosity, I have an old-fashioned webjack reflex, i.e., fear of breaking everything, choosing the easy way out so as not to get my hands dirty.

Pow! I've given myself a slap in the face.

Since it's up and running, I'm going to keep checking it out, but I'm going to install the French version on wire.reseauk.info. In any case, I don't need Finnish and German, thinking that anyway, one wonders why one installs languages since Chrome does this job very well and it's with it that I read these forums. Lol!

Well, I know, Google's no good, but what the heck ๐Ÿ˜„

For customers who love coming from retractable client providers, it's u fact that the end user likes what's simple and reassuring.ย 

Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal...

To the trash ๐Ÿ˜‰