WordPress December follow up

pwired

Could it be that ProcessWire is just incredibly well-written? I'd like to think so, but I am sure time will tell either way :) Certainly if the quality of modules continues and they go through a proper approval process then we can avoid some of those high numbers on the links above, but we will never get to those high numbers I think - I can't imagine a time when we would ever have 1,425 gallery modules even if ProcessWire grew to be more popular than Wordpress - there really must only be so many ways you can put together a gallery so there will never be as many modules (of any type) and therefore no real chance of having that high number of vulnerabilities. At least I hope not ;)

I hope there are never that many PW modules for any one general feature such as a gallery. With PW this should never come to pass; WP only has that many because of course they're all plug-and-play with a million minute options for the back- and front-end to choose from, like positioning or color of captions... most of which are, most of the time, for most people, wholly unnecessary. PW should refrain from jumping on that bandwagon. Given the power of PW out of the box there probably will never be nearly as many modules in the directory as there are WP plugins, and that is a beautiful thing.

• Like 1

Wordpress is well known for it's "so easy to use"
Unfortunately there is a downside of

"out of the box" - - "click and plug" - - "no experience needed"

If a system is so easy to use then a lot of users will never take the time and effort
to study and learn more about the system. This of course leads sooner or later to
wrong use of the system resulting in loss of data, config errors, bad maintenance,
etc.

CodeGuard backupservice did a poll with 500 Wordpress users:

54 % updates every week of every couple of weeks.
24 % makes a backup
23 % followed a training to learn how to use a backup plugin.

Wordpress Business users who were in the poll:
44 % who use Wordpress for a business site don't have a webmaster or an IT worker
22 % never had any training in how to use Wordpress
63 % have deleted sometimes a file for which was not a backup
21 % make backups every now and then
22 % think that backups are not important

Source:
http://www.zdnet.be/nieuws/161373/wordpress-sites-in-gevaar-door-onwetende-gebruikers/