Would you use html5 geolocation to serve different content? Or let the visitor choose?

OrganizedFellow

HIya everyone!

:) I have a client whose business has expanded to another location here in Texas. One in west Texas and the other in Central Texas.

He wants to display two buttons where the visitor clicks the location they wish to view. I'm thinking it would be neat to use HTML5 geolocation and automagically display the appropriate content. Both locations will have different food and drink menus.

I found a decent tutorial on geolocation

http://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/html5-apps-positioning-with-geolocation--mobile-456

How would you approach this?

How would you recommend I approach this?

Would you use html5 geolocation to serve different content? Or let the visitor choose?

I am open to all suggestions and ideas. I've never used HTML5 geolocation before. So I am excited about this :)

HTML5 Geolocation is opt-in only, so I wouldn't rely on that. First-time-visitors are prompted to a popup for accepting the auto-detect. And if your website is not self-explanatory why it needs the geolocation I'd rather use that with caution. Probably best solution is to give the visitor the choice like:

WEST | CENTRAL

or

[auto detect location]*

Then somewhere on the site give an explanation why they should accept auto-detection like "* our website offers different content dependent on your location. We can auto-detect your location, you only have to allow this once". And addtionaly start detecting only if visitor has clicked the detect button.

• Like 2

Then somewhere on the site give an explanation why they should accept auto-detection like "* our website offers different content dependent on your location. We can auto-detect your location, you only have to allow this once". And addtionaly start detecting only if visitor has clicked the detect button.

Excellent idea!!