worked! added own lines inside render ! ;)

bwakad

So today I learned about render, retrieving fields / pages and selectors in general. I have to admit, many times I do not know, often I look at Skyscrapers to see some interesting stuff, read the API and see the the forum where many guru's are active. As such I learned some and added my own lines in the render function.

// get field province, from current page, store in location 
$location = $page->get('province'); 

// use  markup, get url and title of location, store in  where
$where.= "\n\t<li><a href='{$location->url}'>{$location->title}</a></li>"; 

// and then finally output 'where' plus it's markup, inside table

$out = "\n<table class='blahblah'>" .
        "\n\t<tbody>" .
        "\n\t<tr><th>Province</th><td>" . ($where ? "\n<ul>$where</ul>" : $na) . "</td></tr>" . 
        "\n\t</tbody>" .
          "\n</table>";

return $out;

Your head must be a puzzle right now. I have the feeling that you just skipped the basics, and are looking at random things, some even too complicated for starting. I don't want to tell you how you should learn, everyone has it's own way, but I feel that you're taking the longer and less exciting path. Just sayin' :)

• Like 2

Are you adding markup inside the render function in the class directly? That's how I'm reading it from your post above.

All of that should be done in the /site/templates/ file for the relevant page template.

This tutorial will help you understand rather than picking apart something more complex: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/693-small-project-walkthrough-planets/

• Like 1

I know I know...

I just wanted to see how it works. But you are right. I think markup should be in the template file rather then through render. So it's easier to read.

So I just deleted all files, emptied DB, and started on a fresh dev install (no site profile other then basic one).

Made some pages and some loops to get a list in my template file.

And since this list becomes veryyyyyy long I really need a css to attach, like bootstrap (easy) or foundation (litle hard).

I just don't want all the files like site-profile from http://processwire/modules gives because you all will tell me to start with a fresh install again. lol