create pages via API, how add to the top of tree?

horst

Hi,

I'm sure the answer is here to find in forum, but after searching for a while now, I gave up and want to ask for it.

How can I add / sort new (via API) created childpages to the top of the parent-tree?

I want to have a descending sort order in the backend.

thanks Adrian!

this solution from soma works partially: http://processwire.com/talk/topic/1428-create-new-child-as-top-sibling-rather-than-bottom/#entry12845

1)

It does the right sorting if parent sorting is set to none in template. But than I cannot do manually sort by dragging. I get an JS-Message:"Your sort was not saved because these pages are automatically sorted by ..." BUT that's wrong! It was set to this before I have changed the sort to none. Don't know where the error comes from. I have searched a mysql dump of whole DB, but there isn't a sort-setting in the DB for my parent-folder-template!

Could this be a bug? From where is the JS-Message generated?

-----

2)

When setting the parent template child-sorting to 'Manual drag-n-drop' I can do a manually sorting, but Somas script doesn't work right anymore!  :(

I haven't tested Soma's solution, so not sure about those bugs, but do you need manual sorting in the back-end after creation? If not, wouldn't Ryan's suggestion of setting the sort order to "date created" in reverse work for you?

I am guessing you do want the manual sorting, but thought I'd mention it, just in case :)

the base-sorting could be something like -dateCreated but I also want to be able to break that rule and drag some pages manually around.

therefor somas solution to emulate -dateCreated like it works with childrens-sortorder set to none would be perfect!

Hey horst,

I just tested Soma's code with the sorting set to none and it seems to be working fine. The new page was added to the top of the children, but I could still manually sort without any error. I am running the latest dev - maybe a couple of days old.

Let me know if there is any specific scenario I can help you test.

@adrian: before it does not work, e.g if the sort-settings is none or manual :(

There was a entry in my DB table pages_sortfields for the treeparent-page that get not altered when changing the template setting ??

After I have deleted this row (the only one in that table) this page reflects the selected template sortsetting again.

I want to add multiple pages with an importer script. Somas script works with one single page for me, but not with multiple pages.

When I try to add 7 pages and after I'm finished I output $p->sort and $p>customId in a foreach loop, I get this:

0 :: jh2140
1 :: jh2134
1 :: jh2135
1 :: jh2136
1 :: jh2137
1 :: jh2138
1 :: jh2139

I have sort setting 'Manual drag-n-drop'.

I have dev branch from last friday.

Edited by horst

Ok, I have good working solution :) I think:

set the tree-parent-page sort-setting to "Manual drag-n-drop" when it is empty. (empty == has no children now!) Then with the importer script I use this code:

$parent = wire('pages')->get('template=TreeParent');  // get your tree-parent-page
$first = $parent->child;    // get the first child

$p = new Page();
$p->sort = (0!=$first->id) ? $first->sort -1 : 99999;
$p->save();

that way I get this output with my foreach loop:

99991 :: jh2142
99992 :: jh2141
99993 :: jh2140
99994 :: jh2139
99995 :: jh2138
99996 :: jh2137
99997 :: jh2136
99998 :: jh2135
99999 :: jh2134

and after some manual changes (2134 to top, and 2142 to bottom, and 2135 above 2140) and adding one new page to it with the importer script, I get this:

99990 :: jh2143
99991 :: jh2134
99992 :: jh2141
99993 :: jh2135
99994 :: jh2140
99995 :: jh2139
99996 :: jh2138
99997 :: jh2137
99998 :: jh2136
99999 :: jh2142

You only need to set the startvalue high enough, I think. :)  [ max can be 2.147.483.647 ]

Edited by horst
  • Like 1