Is my site under attack?

Raymond Geerts

Since about 10 minutes ago i am receiving a few dozen notifications emails per minute from a site that is build in processwire. This is going on for about 15 minutes now. To me it looks like somebody is trying to do something else then just browing trough the website.

The Error Notifications email is as follow

Page: http://www.somedomain.nl/?/

User: ?

Error

Exception: DB connect error 1040 - Too many connections (in /var/www/vhosts/... .../wire/core/ProcessWire.php line 96)

The website is working normaly and i can login to the manager without any problems.

Has anybody else ever got this kind of notices and what could have caused it?

Thanks, i read that topic. But what im actualy curious about is that somebody is trying to access the site on a url that not exists and as a user that not exists.

Page: http://www.somedomain.nl/?/

User: ?

Notice the questionmark in the URL and user. Its not the guest user as far i understand.

I can imagine it was somekind of hack attempt of some sort.

I remember ryan saying that the questionmark indicates the error happened before Pw could handle the request.

So I guess this means that the DB-error happens right at the beginning and Pw isn't able to detect the user or the page, because it can't access the database.

• Like 1

The connection is failing before PW gets to know which page. I experience this on some "bad" hostings from time to time. That may seems it doesn't allow for enough connections because either too many people request or some connection didn't get closed to mysql for some reason. 

Its the first time i have experienced this on the hosting. Never would have thought the site get so many visitors at once. If it happens once again it might indeed be time to implement that ProCache module that was mentioned in the topic that petsagouris posted. Thanks all for the explinations.