How to compare password

nikola

I have a front end login form and I would like to compare password that user inputs with the password in the system (database).

How can I do it because password in database is hashed and salted so I can throw them an error if they put in the wrong password.

You can do this:

if($user->pass->matches("yourpassword")){
  // correct
}

But normally you just login and if it fails you know it's wrong.

if($session->login("nam","password")){
   // logged in
}
  • Like 3

if($user->pass->matches
if($session->login

If I go to the api cheatsheet I see $user->pass and $session-> but I can't find anything about the parts "->matches" after pass, and "->login" after $session. I am sure that I am overlooking something that must be obvious but where can I find more about this ?

http://processwire.com/api/cheatsheet/?filter=login&advanced

The InputfieldPassword::matches isn't in there since it was also not in API documentation and also belongs to the InputfieldPassword module which is not part of the cheatsheet. Not every method there is is on the cheatsheet, lots of more advanced stuff is left out. Soon we gonna add new stuff that's added recently in 2.3.

• Like 2

The InputfieldPassword::matches isn't in there since it was also not in API documentation and also belongs to the InputfieldPassword module which is not part of the cheatsheet.

The matches() function has actually been moved to be part of the Password value itself, so this is one thing I will add to the 2.3 API docs.