jQuery Version

Pete

Off the top of your collective heads, can you think of any reason why I shouldn't upgrade jQuery and the jQuery UI to the latest versions?

I'm in the process of looking at cobbling a new image/file upload module together and incorporating this at the same time: http://aquantum-demo.appspot.com/file-upload - the requirements for that are that it needs jQuery 1.6+ and UI 1.8+.

The plan is initially to see what I can do on a per-image basis (each image is separate as per the current setup) with a view to possibly expanding it so that you can upload multiple files at once.

The thinking behind trying to incorporate something like this is to be able to handle larger files better. Some people who are editors on sites I've worked on don't know much about image resolution for instance so would upload a huge photo - ProcessWire 2.1 can now set the maximum size of course, but without some sort of upload progress bar some site content editors get confused, think somethings broken and click off the page before an upload is complete. Also, for large files uploaded for a file repository, it's just a handy tool.

I quite like the uploader I linked to as it doesn't appear to require Flash and seems quite streamlined, however I'm also tempted to try and get Uploadify working this way as well.

Future expansion (assuming I get the basics sorted) could include a modal box for uploading multiple files (closing the modal would update the image/file list - it works pretty well in my imagination) but I'm getting ahead of myself again.

Looks like a good upload solution, I like where you are going with this. I'm usually not 100% up-to-date with jQuery just because it's never seemed that beneficial. So I typically upgrade it when some time has passed or when an need comes up for a new version (like this). I'm certainly happy to upgrade PW 2.1 to use the newer versions if you need it, just let me know.

Looks like a nice file uploader and uses jQuery UI so would be great match from that point of view. File uploads are definitely one of the areas where processwire needs some loving, so nice to see more interest here! Please ask all the help you need Pete if you start building this one.

• 2 weeks later...

I can upgrade this when I get back, but if you want to upgrade on your own it's really easy. Just download the latest jQuery and save it to this file (overwriting the old version):

/wire/modules/Jquery/JqueryCore/JqueryCore.js

That's all there is to it. Though if you want to make it official, then edit the jQueryCore.module file in that same dir, and set it to have the correct version number.

If you opt to upgrade your jQuery, let me know how it goes. If all seems good, I'll commit the upgrade when I get back (or do a pull request if you prefer).  I will probably look at the jQuery UI version at the same time, just to see if there are any upgrades there we should include as well.

Thanks,

Ryan

I'd forgotten about this topic since I've not got around to the file uploader part of my project yet, but I know when I went from jQuery 1.3.x to the latest on another project a few weeks back it didn't break anything at all. I love jQuery for that. They may eventually drop support for deprecated functions, but for now they're keeping upgrading very simple indeed.

Slightly off topic but I've been meaning to say it anyway - the level of helpfulness around here reminds me of jQuery as well. You can always find someone to help you out on the jQuery forums - something that made me ditch MooTools very early on as you'd often get scolded there for asking a simple question - yes stuff might be in the documentation, but as documentation grows it's harder to find an answer for your specific needs - especially when you're not used to the terminology - and the forums at jQuery and here at PW are great because everyone's really helpful. Not trying to suck up or anything, just saying it's the best way to grow a community and the project it's attached to so keep up the good work guys.