Eliminate rendor blocking resources

Hi,

We have a website developed using the ProcessWire framework. We have applied the Padhai HTML Template as the theme to this website.

Now we are doing page speed optimization where PageSpeed Insights suggested fixing the errors related to eliminating render-blocking resources. (Please find the screenshot: rendor-blocking.png)

However, we do not face many errors in eliminating render-blocking resources when we test the Padhai HTML Template alone. (Please find the screenshot: rendor-blocking-padhai.png). We kept these template files outside the project directory.

We finally found that when we have the same files inside the site/templates/ folder, we face this issue.

Please suggest any plugin to resolve this or suggest how to resolve this?

rendor-blocking.png

rendor-blocking-padhai.png

Hi @SIERRA,

to avoid this "issue", you would have to extract the CSS that is rendered above the fold and insert in inline: https://web.dev/articles/extract-critical-css

In the article there are some npm modules mentioned, which seem to help with identifying the CSS above the fold.

But personally I have never done this, because I don't want to separate my CSS into different places. For me it is enough to minify the CSS with ProCache to get a good PageSpeed score.

Regards, Andreas

Edited by AndZyk

Hi @SIERRA The problem isn't related to putting the content inside Processwire templates folders or how you implemented the paidhai template.
The paidhai template requires 417kb only for the CSS (plus 100kb of not used javascript) when loading the website. That's a lot.

Spoiler

Here's the same test results using the template reference emulating a Slow 4G throttling in a mobile device:

image.thumb.png.ae68d9c94920c2781f24f7c53192945e.png

The solution is to deliver only what is required (css, images, scripts) and defer everything else. To understand what is really required on the first load you can use the coverage tool in Chromes dev tools:

1. Open the chrome dev tools (Shift + Ctrl + I)
2. Open the command menu (Shift + Ctrl + P)
3. Type coverage and select the show coverage tool

image.png.f340c3fb7351e4a4447b262808b3d297.png

Coverage can help you to understand which content was loaded but is not being used (aka: things that you can defer).
As you can see in the picture, 567kb are being loaded, but only 67kb were needed to render the first content. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.11043b58b233b3b59348ba85718b160c.png

I never used Bootstrap before, but in your case I will probably try to understand what CSS & JS content is really needed.

- Does your website really require  all the CSS files on first loading (popup, carousel modal-video, font-awesome)?
- Can you defer or async the main.js and jquery.js files? or move them to the bottom of the <body>?
- Can you bundle  some Bootstrap files to decrease the number of requests?

To solve it you can do what @AndZyk told you. Use Critical to extract, minify and inline the critical css, and then use preload to load all the other CSS files.
Also, maybe  Optimize can solve the issue for you.

• Like 1