[WORKAROUND] Site v slow to log in and to see upgrade page, also have message "That module is not currently tracked by the modules directory"

Violet

Hello, I will describe the problem(s) I'm seeing, not sure if it's related or 2 separate problems, and below I have listed what I have tried so far. I'd love it if someone would please point me towards a possible solution or things to try. As background, these are PW sites that have been running for awhile. PW version is 3.0.229

The 2 problems

1. Recently, over the past day or so, I noticed that both of my PW sites were very slow to log in, I thought it was hanging but it did eventually log in. I initially thought it was a problem with my host, but once I'm in everything is fine and goes fast so I don't think it's my host. My memory usage at my host is extremely low so I'm nowhere near using my allocation, so I really don't think it's the host (although can't exclude the possibility).
  2. On one of my sites, in admin panel when I go to  setup -> upgrades, it says core up to date, it also lists schedulepages (see pic below), but when I click on schedulepages it says "Error reported by web service: That module is not currently tracked by the modules directory" (see other pic below).

Only 1 of my sites has problem 2 (schedulepages upgrade checking error) - the other site does not have the schedulepages module, but still has the first problem of being very slow to log in.

upgrade list pic:

Processwire-upgrades_500.jpg.a5dcf05259b1cfc3ec8fe19b662bf164.jpg

error message pic:

Processwire-screenshot-error-not-tracked-by-modules_500.jpg.9ca4faac179fd1390c830f92c81033e2.jpg

What I have tried

1. refresh modules (does not resolve either problem)
  2. put debug true, no errors seem to be reported on either site, other than informing me that debug mode is on when I log in
  3. checked logs from inside pw admin area (setup -> logs) Nothing in the error logs is more recent than 3 months ago. The other logs don't have anything more recent than 2 months ago. Out of interest, the modules log's most recent entry was 2 months ago,  (with url question mark)   Compiled file: /site/modules/SchedulePages/SchedulePages.module
  4. I tried navigating within my admin section doing different things. On both sites, when I go to setup->upgrades, it has the problem of taking a really long time to load (even on the site that doesn't have the schedulepages module). But anything else I do in the admin panel on both sites is really fast (e.g. edit page, setup-> fields, etc etc).

I also noticed that it seems to have stopped telling me upon login whether my PW core is up to date (even though my Upgrades Checker is set to Yes for "check for upgrades on superuser login?")

Thank you for anything that anyone can suggest to point me in the right direction. The sites are certainly usable from both the frontend and backend - but the slowness of login is concerning.

The symptoms all point towards ProcessWireUpgrade. It does have a login hook for checking available updates, after all. I'd first check outgoing HTTP(S) connections and, if those work and are performant, possible DNS lookup hickups on the server.

The message about SchedulePages is normal, as it's not listed in the module repository.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you @BitPoetfor helping untangle this tangled mess. Glad the SchedulePages message is normal. To follow up on your suggestions, I looked at the server logs, although that unfortunately only gives me incoming connections. I also tried loading the Upgrades page with F12 on the browser to see what was happening. Both the server logs (not shown here for the sake of simplicity) and the browser F12 (pic below) show the same thing, which is that the main request takes ages, but everything else seems fine:

Screenshot_requests.thumb.png.9b564a3ac5560a60384ffdab8598b752.png

You will notice that there is a warning and a log entry flagged on the pic above, but if we look at these they don't seem like anything important (although that's beyond me):

Screenshot_warnings-logs.thumb.png.1bce18dae1a7408cb0e936560e59bb6f.png

Since I'm on a shared server, I can see my own server logs of incoming requests but that's it. I can't see where outgoing http(s) requests are going.

I think you must be right that there is some DNS lookup problem or an issue with certain types of outgoing connections at my web host, but it looks like it won't be possible for me to track that down. I'm puzzled because I don't know why this suddenly started yesterday - I hadn't made any changes just before I logged in that morning, no changes to my templates either. In other words I don't know why this problem just cropped up out of the blue yesterday. (I think it was yesterday - it may have been the day before, but I think yesterday).  My standard outgoing links (e.g. front-facing pages on my blog site that link to an external site) are working fine and seem to be resolving normally and at a normal speed.

Thank you, it helped to have an idea what to look at. I think at this point I may have to just accept the lengthy login time, unless you or anyone else can think of anything else that I should look at.

Thank you for your time on this problem, it is much appreciated.

Edited by Violet
clarification

• Violet changed the title to [WORKAROUND] Site v slow to log in and to see upgrade page, also have message "That module is not currently tracked by the modules directory"

In case anyone else has this problem, I just wanted to update with a workaround. Simply turn off the update checking at login. In the admin panel, it's Modules -> Configure -> ProcesswireUpgradeCheck 

Now I have blazingly fast logins again!

Obviously, to keep on top of PW updates, you will have to check for updates every so often ( setup -> Upgrades )

I think my shared hosting provider might have some ModSecurity rule that is inadvertently being triggered, or a slow DNS lookup, or something like that. But if you're on shared hosting like I am, you might never be able to find the problem, and even if you found it, the host might not be willing to make any changes.

I have updated the title to show that there's a workaround.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Violet said:

Simply turn off the update checking at login. In the admin panel, it's Modules -> Configure -> ProcesswireUpgradeCheck 

Didn't even know this existed. Good find.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/6/2024 at 10:00 AM, Violet said:

In case anyone else has this problem, I just wanted to update with a workaround. Simply turn off the update checking at login. In the admin panel, it's Modules -> Configure -> ProcesswireUpgradeCheck 

Now I have blazingly fast logins again!

Obviously, to keep on top of PW updates, you will have to check for updates every so often ( setup -> Upgrades )

I think my shared hosting provider might have some ModSecurity rule that is inadvertently being triggered, or a slow DNS lookup, or something like that. But if you're on shared hosting like I am, you might never be able to find the problem, and even if you found it, the host might not be willing to make any changes.

I have updated the title to show that there's a workaround.

I'm glad you found the solution, and I appreciate you coming back to post it to help others. There's nothing more annoying than when someone says, 'It doesn't matter, I already solved it.'