Server timeout errors on remote ???

celfred

Hello,

I'm desperately trying to re-install my site on a new (more official) host and I've been struggling for 3 days with poor results…

The server keeps kicking me out when I go to a new page. If a load occurs, it then works quite well thanks to cache management.

At first, I thought about a problem on my side since I'm not an expert at coding and thought that as my site was getting bigger with my pupils, it was not optimized in fetching data and I was trying to improve that. But :

• everything works fine on my localhost.
  • everything worked (and is still working) fine on my previous webhost ( https://planetalert.tuxfamily.org ) although loading time is a little long.
  • the backend throws the error as well !! And that's what surprises me. If backend doesn't work, I feel like my poor coding skills are not the culprits 🙂

But then I have absolutely no idea of where to dig now and I am quite annoyed of seeing my site (which was getting more popular with my pupils and also getting more popular with my colleagues) not being able to be launched on the academic server ( https://sites.ac-nancy-metz.fr/planetalert/ ) 😞

So if anyone could give me some kind of help on that, I would greatly appreciate.

I'm ready to grant all admin access to someone willing to help beacuse I'm really stuck on this.

If the code is needed, my templates files are available here : https://forge.apps.education.fr/flenglish/planetalert

Thanks !

PS : I have read many posts on this forum trying to find hints. I've disabled Tracy Debugger and things were a little better, but still… backend doesn't work as expected. Whenever I modify a page and click on 'Save', I get a server error (error 429)

The front-end seems to work fine for me using Firefox - on the old and new sites (although you have a trailing ')' character in the new site URL you posted above.)

Can you give post a set of steps to reproduce the issue?

Does the error occur only in the admin interface or once users are logged in?

Hmm, an error 429 is the HTTP server telling you there have been too many requests, and that it's rate-limiting you. What plugins have you got installed and activated?

@netcarver: Thanks for your quick reply !

I use Firefox as well (and I've just tried from another computer with Firefox as well) : same troubles… The in-cache pages are ok, but if you go one the Newsboard and then click on a pupil's name (to go the his or her profile page), it loads for ever until the error occurs… And if I try to log in, the same error triggers again (I suspect because after logging in in the front end, I redirect to that Newsboard which has quite a lot of content).

To log in to the backend, I type the /admin url and use PW login form. But then again, it happens that I have to wait for the eoor, then clean cache and cookie and/or come back by hard typing the backend url.

Regarding the modules : Croppable Image 3, Leaflet Map Marker, Front End Edit Box, Limit Repeater, Login Notifier, Clean Empty Page File Dirs, Pages2Pdf, Changelog, Database Backups, Hanna Code, Login History.

I had a problem with Hanna Code while migrating and the table is absent in PhpMyAdmin. I haven't managed to solve this issue yet.

Could the Session DB handler (which I use as well) be a cuprit ? (But I think it breaks things a little if I turn it off).

Another weird thing I had to face while migrating : file permissions error. Even though I set my config.php to 775 and 664, my FileZilla indicated 770 on assets/ directory and kept telling me 'permission denied' when I tried to change that. I had to rename the assets/files/ and put that directory back to load all my assets files. I can see though that my pages seem to be written in assets/cache/pages so I guess the problem is solved on that side (?).

It is really a brain-teaser (and I guess that's an understatement 🙂) to me !

And I can't see any errors in the logs files (when I manage to get to it through the backend)… When the site starts looping, I can see a 'lock unabled' (can't remember the exact line) error.

I tried accessing your website (and the problematic page) last night and also encountered the error. The error message that I received was about a proxy server having issue, however. Is the current host using nginx or Apache? If there's a proxy server somewhere in there (if not nginx) then it's going to be beyond my experience/capabilities to know how to help. Otherwise, maybe look into why that particular page section (Newsboard) seems to cause trouble when other pages mostly load rather quickly. ProDevTools' ProfilerPro might be useful here, if identifying problem areas on your own ends up being difficult to find.

As a follow-up : I have contacted the administrator and he solved part of the issues. He managed to import my database Sql file (which was too large (?) to be imported via PhpMyAdmin). The site seems to work although I had an "Unable to obtain lock for session". I eventually managed to get through (reloading several times, straight to the admin backend) and all went well then. But logging out and back again as a teacher, the error came back…

I saw a similar post in the Forums about this. TracyDebugger is disabled…

Wonder if he issue could be due to the SessionHandlerDB module or my site optimization (which could be immproved, for sure !)…

And to anwser @BrendonKoz, there is a proxy server, but I have no idea what this implies !

Other idea. Could it be some sort of conflict with the «tableSalt» which can be found in config.php ? And which was not on remote site wit PW 3.0.200 (and an 'old' config.php file).

Can I empty the 'sessions' database safely ?

I haven't personally messed much with the table salt things, but usually that's related to passwords. If you can log in successfully, I'm thinking that's OK (and I would not change it). If you have a feeling there may be an issue with SessionHandlerDB, try disabling it temporarily to see what happens.

If I uninstall SessionHandlerDB, I get the following error :

SQLSTATE[42S02]: Base table or view not found: 1146 Table 'pa-local.sessions' doesn't exist

I've tried to empty cache, I can't get anything to work…

Disabling/Uninstalling SessionHandlerDB is supposed to log out any users - did you get logged out prior to seeing that message?

I should've mentioned it would be a good idea to back up the database prior to disabling, just in case, but since you just moved hosts, I'd imagine whether you did or did not get a backup prior to disabling the module, you should have the ability to restore that table and its data, if need be - and/or restore to your prior host's backup state.

I know a lot of people have had issue with the SessionHandlerDB, which is why I think it's a good idea to see if running the site with it disabled might help. Unfortunately, you also want to be able to use your site, and it seems something is holding on to a cache and/or expecting the table to exist. I'm not familiar with all of the modules you've mentioned, so maybe one of them needs it too?

Well, poor feedback for now, sorry…

My site is still not working. And I'm completely stuck. I have contacted the host admin to see if he has an idea (weird thing : my site folder has 770 permissions and I can't change it via FileZilla although it belongs to my user/group and I have put it there myself (twice ! and I can't delete the old folder site_), the same for assets_ !)

Anyway, I constantly have 'server error' too many SQL connections. I've tried avoiding my LazyCron jobs in my _init file. Not better.

I've noticed that if I delete all cache/cookies, I can get to the login age for the backend. When I log in, twi cookies get installed : wires and wires_challenge. I go to the backend (as a teacher) but Pages Tree never loads and then I get the Server Error whenever I go to antoher page. If I manually delete the 2 before-mentionned cookies, I can do the process again. If I log in as Admin, the Pages tree loads fine and all backend works fine. I have no idea why such a different behavior… As admin though, I was able to unsinstall some modules as stated in my previous posts, but if I try uninstalled Process Login History, I get the « Server error » (after about 60 seconds) and this module stays there… (that's how I have notices my permissions issues I've talked in the beginning of this message).

Sorry for this « messy » message again, but I'm losing myself (and my site) on these issues… I have no idea if it's a server problem or a problem on my side (or both) and it's killing me… I try to be patient and wait for an admin to answer my questions about those file permissions issues. Meanwhile, I keep trying some stuff, reading around the forum trying to find clues…

And I give little news here in case someone has a clever idea or stays interested in how this situation will end up 🙂

Thanks anyway for taking the time to try and unserstand my worries.

Edit : After wandering in the backend as admin, I click 'View site' and get the "server error"… Insisting a little, it eventually works and comes back on another page… driving me crazy !

Edit 02 : In fact, the error is « Proxy error » and has a 502 mention in my debugging tool (which I don't really know how to use, sorry…)

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, celfred said:

but if I try uninstalled Process Login History, I get the « Server error » (after about 60 seconds) and this module stays there… (that's how I have notices my permissions issues I've talked in the beginning of this message).

I was reading through the thread and had the intution that Login History might have sth to do with your problem. Then I read that. To manually disable the module, you can rename the module folder to .ProcessLoginHistory . Then you can do a modules refresh and you should see the ProcessLoginHistory listed under "Missing" and can remove it from there from the DB.
Maybe this will help.

Still I think you are having permission issues on the new server since you can't delte old folders. Do you have ssh access to the server? If not, the server admin should be able to help with those issues.

The 502 Proxy error signifies a communication breakdown between servers, often caused by issues like server overload, network problems, or configuration errors. Again, hard to debug that from the outside and the server admin should see what is happening exactly. But I guess it is some kind of overload problem caused by too many DB requests or the like since you get that server error too many SQL connections.

When you login as Teacher and the page tree doesn't load, you can open the browser dev tools and check for the Responsetab of the XHR request that is happening to fetch the page tree data. In Firefox this should look something like this (where yours likely has a 500 error):

debug-pagetree.thumb.png.061643dc6d4229025fd4693ce6502ee1.png

Keep adding infos : I can confirm that as a guest, the site works as expected. I can follow any link and the result appears quite fast.

As soon as I log in, everything gets stuck quite fast (except pages that had been already cached somehow)..

@gebeerThanks for your long reply which I am reading only now. I have other things to do right now so I'll come back on this later and try everything you said and edit this post to let you know how it goes.

Edit : I have eventually managed to uninstall Process Login History by doing what @gebeersuggested (rename, then missing > remove from database). The problem persisted…

I have also checked the XHR response with Firefox and got the « server error » after about 60 seconds trying to load the pages tree…

I guess I won't have any answer from the host admin until next week 😞

I have no idea what else to try. I have tried everything I could think of (htaccess modifications, uninstalling modules, removing parts of my site to limit server loading…)