Third Party API Monitoring

I use some third party SaaS tool which an REST API. They often have troubles and the only solution is writting them an E-Mail to get it fixed.

The problem is, often I see the issue very late. Changing the tool is no option for the next months.

Does anyone know some good and also not too expensive tool where I can monitor the API requests to the provider - uptime and also if the response has correct data.

If some problem appears the tool should send out some warning via e.g. Mail.

Another option would be a 1 minute cron job on a VPS. It could call a script (bash or PHP maybe) that curls through to your API provider and send yourself an email/sms if it fails. Would give you more flexibility to test POST requests.

• Like 1

I'm using uptime kuma for monitoring my websites and it looks like it can do what you want:

QbrEvhR.png

L7G2DPP.png

Oh, and I'm using https://www.statuscake.com/ to monitor my monitor 😄 So as uptime kuma is self hosted and needs some time to setup you'd maybe better of with statuscake which offers 10 monitors for free. I just checked and you can use GET and POST

• Like 4

+1 for uptime-kuma. Setup as a docker container is really straightforward. I have it running on a Synology NAS and use Pushover for push notifications to my iPhone. The only downside is getting data out of uptime-kuma. It stores everything in a sqlite db and you have to get that out of your docker container and use some other tool to generate CSVs for example. Possible, of course, but not as easy as the UI of the frontend might suggest. 😉

• Like 1

11 hours ago, snck said:

und use Pushover for push notifications

same here 🙂 

11 hours ago, snck said:

The only downside is getting data out of uptime-kuma. It stores everything in a sqlite db and you have to get that out of your docker container and use some other tool to generate CSVs for example. Possible, of course, but not as easy as the UI of the frontend might suggest. 😉

True! I'm using that + RockPdf to generate monthly reports for my clients. The DB is something around 800MB and generating the reports is terribly inefficient, but it works and I think it looks nice and creates value 🙂 

XsDL1jg.png

Maybe it would have been better to create a simple API inside the container. But it was the simplest solution back then and I think they just want to monitor and don't need to create any reports anyhow 🙂