Thumbnail Issue

Pete

Hi folks

Just testing out this fine looking piece of software - it's initially to build a website that will partially serve as a directory with many categories requiring many custom fields, so imagine my excitement when I looked through the demo site and watched the video ;)

I've just been playing with uploading images and think I may have encountered a bug. If you upload an image, Save the page, then drag and drop that image into the editor without resizing it, when you save that page and view it the thumbnail is actually just a scaled down version of the original file - ie. it's the original file and the system doesn't appear to have created a thumbnail, despite the fact that the version you drag in is smaller than the original file.

It was only when I actually went to resize it in the editor that it created a thumbnail.

So, if you're following me so far, it seems like it's not checking if it's different than the original file dimensions unless you actually change the thumbnail size in the editor.

Hi Pete, thanks for your feedback and welcome to the forums.

I was confused when you mentioned "drag and drop", as PW doesn't have support for dragging images into TinyMCE. But then I went and tried it myself, and sure enough, it works! I don't know why that works as I've not coded anything to support it. Apparently it's something that TinyMCE must have built-in and I just never realized it. Did anyone else here (other than Pete) realize that TinyMCE supports this? I don't know how I missed this. :)

So now that I know TinyMCE supports it, I think I just need to setup PW's TinyMCE plugins to recognize the event... I need to do more research to find out how to support this... give me a couple days. Until we've got that working, you'll want to just click on the image icon and select the image that way. But I'm anxious to add this drag-n-drop support, as it sounds quite convenient.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hehe, dunno why I even tried doing that but I did and when it worked I assumed it was intentional ;)

It's certainly something else that's a bit cool to show off to clients and, more importantly, potential clients - they love the flashy stuff even if it's not all that important.

I totally agree. I love that you can drag-n-drop into the editor... I'm anxious to add full support for this. I might have to rethink some of the bad things I've said about TinyMCE. :)

Okay, just tested the original issue I was having in PW2 and just installed PW21 and I'm experiencing the same issue.

I thought when you inserted an image into the page content and scaled it down it was supposed to create a separate thumbnail (I could be wrong)?

Whether I link it to the larger version or not, it still doesn't create a separate thumbnail image which I think it's supposed to.

The attached screen shows that the thumbnail (after I saved the page) is just the large image (600px wide) scaled down via width and height attributes.

For info I'm testing on XAMPP.

post-1356-132614277909_thumb.gif

Looks like a bug, thank you for finding it. There was an issue in the editor_plugin.js that I must have introduced recently when trying to get this working with IE. It was using the wrong filename (fullsize rather than resized). The in-editor resizes were still working properly, just not the modal ones. If you grab the latest commit of 2.1, this fixes that particular issue.

Thanks,

Ryan

Did anyone else here (other than Pete) realize that TinyMCE supports this? I don't know how I missed this. :)

I didn't. And I tried dragging and dropping like a madman and couldn't get anything done :) I used chrome, maybe this is something that works on firefox only? Or then I just dragged from wrong place (I tried to drag images from modal)?

I was dragging them from the list of images further down the page - so upload one, save the page, scroll down to the images beneath the other fields (I'm on the default PAge template here) and drag a thumbnail into the editor :)

I was dragging them from the list of images further down the page - so upload one, save the page, scroll down to the images beneath the other fields (I'm on the default PAge template here) and drag a thumbnail into the editor :)

Ah, ok. That is nice. Although I always have images in other tab so that would be very hard to do in practice.