4K TV as a Computer Monitor

kongondo

Anyone using a 4K TV as a computer monitor? What has your experience been? Primary use would be coding and video editing (not gaming or graphics or for smart TV features). 43 inch, maybe LED or QLED (not OLED). What I've found out so far:

1. Distance from screen!
  2. Anything bigger than 50 inch is asking for trouble (ergonomics).
  3. QLED best for bright rooms.
  4. OLED best for darker rooms but...
  5. OLED burn-in! and pricey!
  6. Eye strain + possible headaches (see #1).
  7. Refresh rate (not important for coding?).
  8. Auto dimming.
  9. Font aliasing (reverse RGB to BGR if possible).
  10. One big screen might be better than two smaller ones (central focal point) - YMMV!

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Edited by kongondo
add one more use case

8 hours ago, kongondo said:

One big screen might be better than two smaller ones (central focal point) - YMMV!

I use three. Central one 24”, sides 17”. I find that much better than one big one. Typically, the central one for code, one side for displaying the output and the other side for reference. Probably cheaper than one big one as well. 

• Like 2

There are some videos on YouTube about that aka "TV as PC monitor".

Like this one:

There are a few things: from input lag, connections, colors, to refresh-rate and even things I didn't even know existed.

I don't know if the video above answers all your questions but maybe it gives some more insights - I remember LLT (Linus) made a similar video a while back, but coulnd't find it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wbmnfktr said:

I don't know if the video above answers all your questions but maybe it gives some more insights

Thanks. It was one of the first ones I watched 😄. I've watched at least a dozen, maybe more. I have watched some that are like a series...now, 6 months later, 2 years, later, etc! Some people have gone back to PC monitors, others have stuck it out, others have gone for smaller TVs, etc. Like you said, there's quite a lot of factors to take into account as well as end use of the thing. Gamers, for instance,  seem to like the LG C series a lot. 

• Like 1

So... I am everything but a gamer (ok, maybe Sonic on the Raspberry or something like that) but still... I always thought about buying TVs or Presentation Displays (64" 8K+ while super low prices) yet... I always remember something that's telling me: DONT DO IT!

But I can't remember THAT THING. Something of refresh rates from input to output and combined with colors.

Just asked our new friends from the AI section and I got this:

Spoiler

When using a television as a computer monitor for gaming, content creation, video editing, and general use, there are several important aspects to consider:

Important aspects:

1. Resolution: For an 8K resolution, you need a graphics card that supports this high resolution. Note that 8K content and games are very demanding on hardware, and not all graphics cards can support 8K at 60Hz via HDMI.

2. Refresh Rate: A high refresh rate is especially important for gaming. Many televisions only offer a refresh rate of 60Hz, which may not be sufficient for modern games. For a smooth gaming experience, the television should support at least 120Hz.

3. Input Lag: Monitors are typically designed to minimize input lag. Televisions may have higher input lag, which can be particularly problematic for gaming.

4. Color Management and Picture Quality: Televisions often have superior color management and better picture quality compared to monitors.

5. Pixel Density (PPI): A higher PPI value means sharper images, which is especially important for close-up work. Televisions often have lower PPI than monitors.

6. Size: The size of the screen can lead to eye and neck strain if sitting too close. The ideal viewing distance is about one foot per ten inches of screen diagonal.

7. Connections: Make sure the television supports HDMI 2.1 to enable 8K at 60Hz without chroma subsampling.

8. Panel Type: IPS or VA panels offer good color accuracy and contrast but may not be as contrast-rich as OLED displays. OLED televisions offer the best picture quality but are more expensive and susceptible to burn-in, which can be problematic for static images like productivity work.

Disadvantages:

• Cost: 8K televisions are expensive, and the hardware required to run games in 8K can also be costly.
  • Content Availability: There are currently few 8K contents and media, limiting the use of the full resolution.
  • Burn-in Risk with OLED: OLED displays can exhibit burn-in effects with static images, posing a risk during extended productivity work.
  • Size and Ergonomics: Large screens can pose ergonomic challenges as they require greater viewing distances, and it can be difficult to keep the entire screen in view.

Conclusion:

If you want to use a television as a computer monitor, choose a model with a high refresh rate, low input lag, good color management, and 8K resolution at 60Hz via HDMI 2.1. Consider ergonomic aspects and make sure your graphics card provides the necessary performance for your specific requirements. The investment can be significant, so it's important to carefully weigh the pros and cons and possibly use reviews and comparisons on websites like rtings.com before making a decision.

So... I actually guess, based on that, it was the refresh rate. Most TVs only run 30/60hz and back then only a few 120hz.

I don't know if this helps but... who knows.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2024 at 1:15 AM, kongondo said:

Anyone using a 4K TV as a computer monitor? What has your experience been? Primary use would be coding and video editing (not gaming or graphics or for smart TV features). 43 inch, maybe LED or QLED (not OLED). What I've found out so far:

1. Distance from screen!
  2. Anything bigger than 50 inch is asking for trouble (ergonomics).
  3. QLED best for bright rooms.
  4. OLED best for darker rooms but...
  5. OLED burn-in! and pricey!
  6. Eye strain + possible headaches (see #1).
  7. Refresh rate (not important for coding?).
  8. Auto dimming.
  9. Font aliasing (reverse RGB to BGR if possible).
  10. One big screen might be better than two smaller ones (central focal point) - YMMV!

Thoughts?

Thanks.

I'm using a single 4k OLED 42" C2 tv as monitor for over a year now.

1. Using same distance as normal dual monitors
  2. I wouldn't go any larger
  3. True
  4. and 5. If you have no direct window behind you, the glossy screen is great (there are some matte monitors with 4k out there right now, but I personally would go for oled for the deep blacks, which are not that deep on matte screens.. There is also coming an oled monitor from LG with glossy). No burn-in, I do have screensavers and hide the taskbar just in case. Burn-ins really should only occur when something is there for a VERY long time. My pc is on all day long.
  5. I have no problem myself
  6. I have 120hz, personally I really like that when I move windows around it's a bit smoother
  7. Autodimming can be disabled for mine (some program is needed)
  8. Small fonts not looking great when it's a particular color combination, like red on yellow. This might be different for different TV panel types.
  9. I'm usually splitting the screen in 2, but this is particular a personal preference. (It's possible to have 25%/50%/25% but the 25% would be a bit narrow for a code editor)

Perhaps looking at the new (and not yet released) 4k oled monitors could be an option. If OLED is a no-go then I would still have a 42" monitor. One thing; if you are used to this, working on dual monitors is not very pleasant (especially 2x 1080p).

• Thanks 1

@Spinbox

You are the boss 😄!  Thank you so much for the detailed response!

22 hours ago, Spinbox said:

I'm using a single 4k OLED 42" C2 tv as monitor for over a year now.

I've heard great things about the C2.

I'm usually splitting the screen in 2, but this is particular a personal preference. (It's possible to have 25%/50%/25% but the 25% would be a bit narrow for a code editor)

This guy has some helpful tips on screen splitting (PowerToys FancyZones, Aquasnap and Groupy).

One thing; if you are used to this, working on dual monitors is not very pleasant (especially 2x 1080p).

Was 2x 1080p your previous setup?

Thanks again for the detailed answers!

• Like 1

Yes I have PowerToys, but the habit of just using 50/50 is strong in me haha. Windows 11 can group 2 windows when you asign them for example with windows+leftarrow.

I have to use 2x1080p occasionally when working on location.

At home I have used 3440x1440p before this. And dual 1080p before that.