PHP is cool again... I guess.

wbmnfktr

43 minutes ago, bernhard said:

It can actually do a lot more than that. It could also be used for building a custom newsletter tool or a tool where clients can build their own PDF reports with flexible building blocks.

...I thought I knew what love felt like...

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of the hate wordpress gets is from people doing it wrong or being handed a website that was done wrong.  The "right" way to do them now is to use a custom fields plugin like metabox and then updates are very similar to a processwire website.  There is a custom post type the client accesses and adds posts to, and they dont mess with the design side at all.  You can even lock them out of it using roles.  You just have to use a little restraint and hit the dynamic data button on your page builder instead of typing it in.  

And bricks builder is much better than the more popular elementor.  Clean code, made in vue3.  Even has php blocks.  Done the right way takes away many of the arguments people use against it.  I can pop one out at $130 an hour using something like frames that has predesigned rows.  https://getframes.io/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2023 at 10:51 PM, joer80 said:

I can pop one out at $130 an hour using something like frames that has predesigned rows.

Frames reminded me a lot of Pinegrow - https://pinegrow.com/ - which has some pretty handy shortcuts in the WP version for breaking out flat HTML designs into loop and block files. Once Yootheme Pro started incorporating real-time previews of custom fields and post/page types it finally started catching up to the flexibility and convenience of certain types of PW builds. I am still finding it faster to work in PW, even though I have had a lot more experience with WP.

• 1 month later...

I stumbled on this video by Primeagen. If you're not familiar, he's a highly experience polyglot developer that uses a lot of different languages regularly and talks about them on his channel.

His content isn't really my style (I think this is one of the first "reaction" videos I've ever watched), but I enjoyed seeing him get reintroduced to PHP, especially since he states that he hasn't used it since PHP 5.x. The video he reviews is also a really great introductions to modern features of PHP 8+ that I think more developers should adopt- both because they are totally cool and really do provide a better developer experience. So come for the "PHP is cool again", stay for the syntax we should all be using.

The original video was by the same person that @wbmnfktr shared in this comment earlier in the thread, if you haven't watched his other videos, check them out!

• Like 7

20 hours ago, FireWire said:

His content isn't really my style (I think this is one of the first "reaction" videos I've ever watched)

He has different formats, but yes... "reaction" videos are special. Still I really enjoyed this one (and the original video).

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 6/17/2023 at 6:50 PM, FireWire said:

So at what point do we acknowledge that there's a difference between saving time in our work and offloading it onto our clients? I use PW to define the client experience. No layout builder, they just enter content and it works and looks like it's supposed to.

I'm coming back here to say that RockPageBuilder has made me a convert. It addresses every concern I've ever had with page builders, fully stop. On top of that, provides powerful modularity that can help speed up future projects. Worth every penny. Outstanding job by @bernhard

• Like 5