Jump to content

HELP! Can anyone answer a couple of questions - please.


Malinda
 Share

Recommended Posts

My previous web programmer isn't doing it anymore and I have some new pages I must add and some updates. I have grant funding that must be used quickly and I found someone to help me, but they have a couple of questions and I don't know how to answer them. I tried looking for a programmer through the processwire directory, but nobody would respond.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!!!

  1. I tried embedding youtube and machform code into the Source section of the editor. It literally wipes it out (which takes me back to good old FrontPage days), is there any work around for that?
  2. I have been given access to the CMS editor but I assume there is a higher up level where templates are and styles are called, is that correct?
  3. A sort of follow on to #2, if we wanted to add Accordion functionality, if we add JavaScript to the head area and the code in the source editor would that work?
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi @Malinda. Welcome to the forums and ProcessWire.

1 hour ago, Malinda said:

I tried looking for a programmer through the processwire directory, but nobody would respond. 

We have a jobs board here, in case you need it in future:

https://processwire.com/talk/forum/22-jobs/

1 hour ago, Malinda said:

I tried embedding youtube and machform code into the Source section of the editor. It literally wipes it out (which takes me back to good old FrontPage days), is there any work around for that?

Yes. That is to be expected. For YouTube, you have three options at least:

1. Tell CKEditor to stop stripping your iframe, as explained here:

2. Use Hanna Code. An example can be found here:

There are simple Hanna Code examples but I cannot find them at the moment.

3. Use one of the available Video embed modules:

https://processwire.com/search/?q=video&t=Modules

1 hour ago, Malinda said:

I have been given access to the CMS editor but I assume there is a higher up level where templates are and styles are called, is that correct?

You would need to be a superuser (the higher up level [highest in fact]) to be able to access ProcessWire templates. However, the files that go with the templates (template files) and styles are stored in your directory/folders where your ProcessWire installation files are stored (on your webhost / server). Access to them is usually via FTP or a CPanel-like dashboard. The template files will be under /site/templates/. The location of styles is a matter of choice for your developer but the usual locations are /site/templates/styles/ or /site/templates/css/ or similar.

1 hour ago, Malinda said:

A sort of follow on to #2, if we wanted to add Accordion functionality, if we add JavaScript to the head area and the code in the source editor would that work?

By head area I assume you mean the <head></head> of a template file or an auto-appended file like _main.php (/site/templates/_main.php). The JavaScript would be picked up, yes. However, the code does not (shouldn't even, I would argue) go into CKEditor. It would be stripped out anyway by CKEditor. I am not sure what you mean by code in this case as well. Usually, that code would go into your /site/templates/scripts/main.js or /site/templates/js/main.js. The main.js is usually a custom file created/amended by your developer so it could be named something else, even scripts.js. 

I hope this helps.

It would be helpful to know the what version of ProcessWire you are using.

All the best 🙂.

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kongondo said:

Hi @Malinda. Welcome to the forums and ProcessWire.

We have a jobs board here, in case you need it in future:

https://processwire.com/talk/forum/22-jobs/

Yes. That is to be expected. For YouTube, you have three options at least:

1. Tell CKEditor to stop stripping your iframe, as explained here:

2. Use Hanna Code. An example can be found here:

There are simple Hanna Code examples but I cannot find them at the moment.

3. Use one of the available Video embed modules:

https://processwire.com/search/?q=video&t=Modules

You would need to be a superuser (the higher up level [highest in fact]) to be able to access ProcessWire templates. However, the files that go with the templates (template files) and styles are stored in your directory/folders where your ProcessWire installation files are stored (on your webhost / server). Access to them is usually via FTP or a CPanel-like dashboard. The template files will be under /site/templates/. The location of styles is a matter of choice for your developer but the usual locations are /site/templates/styles/ or /site/templates/css/ or similar.

By head area I assume you mean the <head></head> of a template file or an auto-appended file like _main.php (/site/templates/_main.php). The JavaScript would be picked up, yes. However, the code does not (shouldn't even, I would argue) go into CKEditor. It would be stripped out anyway by CKEditor. I am not sure what you mean by code in this case as well. Usually, that code would go into your /site/templates/scripts/main.js or /site/templates/js/main.js. The main.js is usually a custom file created/amended by your developer so it could be named something else, even scripts.js. 

I hope this helps.

It would be helpful to know the what version of ProcessWire you are using.

All the best 🙂.

 

Thank you so much for all of the info and for the jobs board - I wish I had asked that first!  Much appreciated-

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2022 at 12:32 PM, kongondo said:

Hi @Malinda. Welcome to the forums and ProcessWire.

We have a jobs board here, in case you need it in future:

https://processwire.com/talk/forum/22-jobs/

Yes. That is to be expected. For YouTube, you have three options at least:

1. Tell CKEditor to stop stripping your iframe, as explained here:

2. Use Hanna Code. An example can be found here:

There are simple Hanna Code examples but I cannot find them at the moment.

3. Use one of the available Video embed modules:

https://processwire.com/search/?q=video&t=Modules

You would need to be a superuser (the higher up level [highest in fact]) to be able to access ProcessWire templates. However, the files that go with the templates (template files) and styles are stored in your directory/folders where your ProcessWire installation files are stored (on your webhost / server). Access to them is usually via FTP or a CPanel-like dashboard. The template files will be under /site/templates/. The location of styles is a matter of choice for your developer but the usual locations are /site/templates/styles/ or /site/templates/css/ or similar.

By head area I assume you mean the <head></head> of a template file or an auto-appended file like _main.php (/site/templates/_main.php). The JavaScript would be picked up, yes. However, the code does not (shouldn't even, I would argue) go into CKEditor. It would be stripped out anyway by CKEditor. I am not sure what you mean by code in this case as well. Usually, that code would go into your /site/templates/scripts/main.js or /site/templates/js/main.js. The main.js is usually a custom file created/amended by your developer so it could be named something else, even scripts.js. 

I hope this helps.

It would be helpful to know the what version of ProcessWire you are using.

All the best 🙂.

 

@kongondoWe are using  ProcessWire version is: 3.0.61 © 2022 . How would I get superuser access?  I have emailed the original web designer to ask that question, but haven't heard back from him yet. Thanks!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Malinda said:

How would I get superuser access? 

Since you cannot get access to your developer and since it seems you will not be getting a replacement developer for this, I would suggest, albeit with caution/caveats, that you take over the current superuser account. This will mean changing the following:

  1. The current superuser password
  2. The current superuser email
  3. If needed, the current superuser username

1 and 2 are more important. 1, since you need to be able to log in and 2 since you want ProcessWire to send messages (when needed) to an email account you have access and control over.

The above requires that you have access to the ProcessWire files. This can be either via FTP or CPanel. In any case, you need to be able to edit at least a template file. Please let me know. Please don't post your FTP/CPanel details here 🙂. At this point, we just need a yes or no response if you have access to files. By the way, if you'd rather discuss via PM, please feel free to message me here in the forums.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...