my own photography website - a convert to PW

Rob(AU)

Here is my website, built with ProcessWire, and still being refined as I learn more.

https://robpackerphotography.com/

My website journey has taken me via plain html, Singapore (anyone remember that?), Wordpress, modx, and now finally PW. Along the way I experimented with drupal, concrete, silverstripe and a few others that I'd rather forget. All self-taught and done between full-time work, family and a passion for photography.

I have found using ProcessWire relatively simple - despite the steep learning curve of having to learn about php... The community support is fantastic.

• Like 16

Nice photos. Do you have any issues with image theft posting relatively hi-res images without watermarks?

I have quite a lot of photos on one of my personal websites, but they are scaled down and watermarked, and even then, I've found some of them pop up on other people's websites without anyone asking permission. 

I inherited a camera club website made with Concrete, and the performance was terrible, and the editing process was horribly easy to mess up even if you mostly knew what you were doing.

ProcessWire has nice image handling capabilities.

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

I have yet to see any issue with image theft. Partly that's probably because the site doesn't get a whole lot of traffic.

ProcessWire is far better at handling images than anything else I've used, and I don't utilise it's full potential.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Rob(AU) said:

I have yet to see any issue with image theft.

This may be because only copies can be stolen, never the originals ?

But all joking aside. If you want to protect the images at some point, you will probably not get around a very present watermark in the images for the large representations.
Additionally you have to prevent access to the original images for non-registered visitors.
Both would not be of much work.

Example:
Watermark a variation of the original images directly (in the same size) and then always use this WM-variation as the starting image for all further image processing. This could be encapsulated in a function or better maybe directly hooked as a new Pageimage->Function or Property. You would then always call your images like $image->wm->width(1280) instead of $image->width(1280). The possibility to create variations without watermark still remains. If you are interested I could create a tutorial for everyone.

For watermarking we have the old but still working module PIM2 and for protection there is a description how to set this up. If you are interested I can fast-guide you through this via PM or E-Mail. ?

Spoiler

When following creating a alpha-png file in photoshop with the provided photoshop action, it can be setup very fast. Here are an example usage done in a few minutes:

watermark-rob-au--example.thumb.png.5647a2c444970f0116310fdb3348659c.pngql047n-1.-wm.thumb.jpg.a7c08e6dde37a11983ed95b41c6d5b71.jpg

Spoiler

• Like 3

Hi horst,

thanks for the feedback, and I'm please someone comprehended the copyright notice!

I, as would others I'm sure,  would be very thankful for a tutorial on creating watermarks via a hooked function or property.

• Like 1