PW for Static Websites and Blogs?

Wysardry

I would like to use ProcessWire to create a static website with a static blog section, similar to those that can be created with Movable Type.

In other words, visitors would be served physical static HTML files.

Would this be possible with ProCache? The description for it just says it delivers pages as if they were static HTML files, not that they actually are.

• Like 1

Thanks. That's exactly what I was hoping for. I've been looking for something like this for some time.

The license for the latest versions of Movable Type are too expensive for a startup and every other CMS I've looked at requires third party plugins to create static pages.

To be fair ProCache isn't really what one commonly understands by "static page". You cannot easily take what ProCache generates and e.g. publish it to GitHub pages or netlify. The cache is also generated on actual requests to a certain page. There's no command to "generate all pages". So you'll likely still need to run the full CMS on a webhosting doing php and having a mysql db. You just won't hit the php runtime/db for requests, which hit the cache. Therefore you can take a bunch more traffic on the same machine.

For actual static pages (html/js/css as output) I really like eleventy. It's really flexible and if you like processwire for the authoring experience you could e.g. render a json document out of processwire, which you feed into eleventy as data source.

I want an online solution that I can install on reasonably cheap hosting without performance issues and add/edit content using multiple platforms.

If my main computer ever has a problem, I want to be able to update the site via another computer or tablet.

The only other suitable option I've found so far is Movable Type, but the open source version hasn't been updated in over 5 years and a license for the newer paid versions costs $499 per year.

32 minutes ago, Wysardry said:

I want an online solution that I can install on reasonably cheap hosting without performance issues and add/edit content using multiple platforms.

If my main computer ever has a problem, I want to be able to update the site via another computer or tablet.

The only other suitable option I've found so far is Movable Type, but the open source version hasn't been updated in over 5 years and a license for the newer paid versions costs $499 per year.

For me that looks like a perfect fit.

I use a lot different cheap hosting services, whereas the costs of them are between 4€ to 6€ per month.