How far back in time are threads relevant to today's PW?

Jared

Oftentimes I find myself needing to research things (I'm not much of a programmer) and specifically with PW I'm finding a lot of content & answers from 2012-2016. What is the general consensus on the usefulness of old threads?

I realize this is going to be dependent on the context, so for a few potential perspectives:

• What about for things that are module-specific?
  • Related to the core stuff?
  • Related to templating? 
  • Related to the API specifically?

There is definitely a lot of crossover but hopefully that helps...

I appreciate any guidance. ?

Welcome to the forums!

• "What about for things that are module-specific?"
    • Lots of old modules still work on current ProcessWire versions, but it is recommended to do a forum search in the related forum topic where you can also ask the developer.
  • "Related to the core stuff?"
    • The core is constantly being refactored by Ryan but normally we should use the API anyway. So most of the time this shouldn't be of anyone's concerns.
  • "Related to templating?"
    • Generally speaking any old code based on the API should still work as expected. Depreciation is rare if any, and Ryan is trying not to introduce changes that break old code.
  • "Related to the API specifically?"
    • See my previous answer above ?

Others might join in and shed more lights on things, but this is what came to my mind ?

EDIT: Probably PHP deprecations can cause more issues than changes introduced in ProcessWire.

Edited by szabesz
EDIT added...
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info and the welcomes ? 

So far I really dig how this is setup, but definitely still learning the ropes, so that helps give me the confidence that I shouldn't worry too much. I've got a bit of an ambitious project so I'm sure you'll see me around, and hopefully I can eventually contribute something!

• Like 3

How far back in time are threads relevant to today's PW?

It can be just me but I find that question out of touch. Posts usually do not bring solutions by them selves. They either point in the right direction for a solution or add to missing information or experience to find a solution. For all the rest you have to fill in for your self.