Apache PageSpeed Module

elabx

I did a couple of years ago. It worked fine with three caveats:

• by default it caches all the pages and files it rewrites, so you have to be mindful of not running out of disk space.
  • I'm not really comfortable letting an automated tool rewrite so much markup. I like to control the output.
  • you can spend a lot of time tweaking and testing all the settings if you're not opting for the default ones. One particular problem I ran into is to exclude image rewrites from the admin. I believe it's possible to exclude directories, but I could not get it to work and it caused all sorts of unforeseen issues, such as images in Ckeditor fields.

In the end, I removed it because it was not worth the hassle. I had already implemented on my own all the major optimizations it proposed to do automatically. Like you, I was mostly interested in the WebP conversion anyway. In case you're not aware,  @horst is working on implementing WebP in PW

• Like 1

@jacmaes Thanks a lot for your answer! I was very excited about this, but then started to think of all the possible caveats and just decided to take it slower and ask here for experiences with it. I am also eagerly awaiting  @horst 's module, think I'll just rather wait.