Small volume mailings

MarkE

I have a system with about 100-200 pages of members. Being a small local group, it’s unlIkely to get much bigger. There will also be some pages for different mailing lists, with many-many links between members and lists. I will want to send custom emails to each list (prepared using an “email” template). 

I have wireMailSmtp installed. Is that good enough for the job, or would people recommend a dedicated email service like Mailgun or Mailchimp? Any thoughts on pros and cons are welcome. 

I used to be all about sending via SMTP, but it seems to be getting harder and harder to find a service that doesn't end up screwing you with limits at some point, or they decide you're spamming, or the deliverability is compromised. 

I have become a big fan of MailGun - should be free for your needs and the PW MailGun module works great - it's also faster than sending via SMTP.

Be sure to grab @Macrura's new fork of the module from: http://github.com/outflux3/WireMailMailgun/

• Like 4

Mailgun is really great, I love it. But if you want something to install on your server, try Sendy https://sendy.co/ with which you can use Amazon SES to send thousands of emails a year for pennies. But beware that you need to pay attention to your reputation on Amazon SES as Sendy do not track that, otherwise you can get your account disabled. It happened with a client, but it was Amazon's mistake and after a couple of emails explaining the situation, they enabled it back. 

• Like 1