Hints for a beginner page I want to do

Michkael

Hey guys,

I am extremely new with HTML/php/CSS/mySQL and to better learn I want to do a small, pretty easy project.
The difficulty for me now is to understand where to find the right tools/modules/API/.... so you don't have to give me the entire solution, although some hints will make the difference.

Here the details about the page
 A scrolldown page where are shown all the post (chronologically) inserted by the users registered (and approved) to the website. It will be like a photo album for my vacations that can be uploaded live and followed by my family.

My questions are:

1) How can I make a field input accessible only from verified users as follows? The new item will be seen as a childpage, or how does it work? Is this brute coding or can I find a module/app for this? -- This field input should offer the possibility to add a picture (or pictures), a title and a description.

2) How can I make the pictures low quality to speed up the navigation but when clicked, the entire article opens up (like in a popup window) with the high quality pictures?

Thank you very much for all your help.
And if you have any useful tip to give me, I will be greatful. (I have whatched the 2 videos of Philipp Reiner: ProcessWire Basic Guide - First Steps)

Michael

Hello @Michael and welcome to ProcessWire,

1 hour ago, Michkael said:

I am extremely new with HTML/php/CSS/mySQL and to better learn I want to do a small, pretty easy project.

What you are aiming for is not a pretty easy project but if you really want to learn and have the time to spend on it then you can start learning by doing it especially if it's a family project which means all your users should be patient, cooperative and help you by testing ? 

1) How can I make a field input accessible only from verified users as follows?

Read up on permissions and roles. Beside the docs I also recommend a google search in the Blog posts, something like this: https://www.google.hu/search?q=access+permissions+roles+site%3Aprocesswire.com%2Fblog

You probably want to stick to backend – that is the PW's administration area – for user management features and do not want to implement front-end user management features because that is not something for complete beginners, at least there is a lot more to learn before I can recommend for you to do that.

2) How can I make the pictures low quality to speed up the navigation but when clicked, the entire article opens up (like in a popup window) with the high quality pictures?

This is sort of provided by the admin but I guess you are talking about the frontend. To make things easier, you might want to install ProcessWire by also installing this site profile: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/13572-bootstrap-4-minimal-site-profile/ by @flydev

This way you can rely on Bootstrap 4 which can help a lot if you are new to CSS and SASS.

For showcasing images on the front-end, here are some libraries to pick from:

Hope this helps! Happy developing ?

Edited by szabesz
typos
  • Like 3