Improvements to file uploading when file with same name is uploaded

apeisa

Currently fieldtype creates a new file with suffix like filename_1, filename_2 when files with same filename is uploaded. Most of the time this is good, but sometime it would be good to allow overriding the file. Would it be difficult to check if similar file exists and offer a js confirm wheter to override or create a new file?

This is of course for multifile fields, since single file fields override always (not sure if that is every time preferred without confirmation?).

I will take a look at this myself at some point, but interested to hear what others think about this? Which would be best UI here?

• Like 2

This sounds good to me. I'm guessing we could do the JS confirm pretty easily from the ajax upload, though probably not from the oldschool one. So might be good to have a setting that goes with the file field as to whether the default behavior is to overwrite or rename. It'll also require some changes in the WireUpload class, but I don't think anything too major.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
About files, is there any good solution found to the max amount of files that can be stored in a folder ? For example if you have a site with user generated content, page folders can quickly out grow the maximum amount of stored files in a folder.

It depends on the file system. In a common ext3 with dir_index file system there is apparently a limit of 32k subdirectories per directory, and no practical limit on quantity of files in a directory. In a common ext4 file system there apparently is no limit on subdirectories or files, but a maximum individual file size of 16 TB, so be careful. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry ryan, saw this message today... So you say when hosting a site on server with ext4 file system, there's no real file issue for PW.

That's my understanding after doing some research online. Though I've not ever pushed those upper limits so just repeating what I've read rather than speaking from personal experience.